Green algae scum

calpoly12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
Paso Robles, CA
TMartinez;4899972; said:
the clown ate twice yesterday and twice today. He was great till I started kicking up algae in the tank
the algae is just a sign that something else is spiking in your tank. It could be the nitrates,nitrites, etc. I just thought of this, but what are you using for saltwater? are you using tap water and mixing your own, are you using the LFS, reverse osmosis, etc.

calpoly12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
Paso Robles, CA
also as long as he keeps eating, its a good good good sign

TMartinez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Mandarin, Fl
The clown is mostly siting on the bottom but he will swim up and inch or so then come back down. So he'll move just not alot.

I bought my water from the lfs...

TMartinez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Mandarin, Fl
I figure when I started wiping down the tank and all the algae particles went into the water it over stressed him

calpoly12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
Paso Robles, CA
The cleaning might of stressed him. What I like to do when I clean is turn the lights off. This seems to put less stress on the fish. The lights should also be off when introducing a fish.
If you bought the water from the LFS Im sure its ok. They most likely use reverse osmosis/deionized. That is the water you want to use. Tap water has to many contaminants that will fowl your water. Another good water tip is when you get a new fish/coral/anything and it comes in bag with a water, DONT add the water in the bag to your tank. That is a good way to mess up your water quality.
The clown seems to be doing ok, obviously he isnt happy-go-lucky, but he doesnt seem be sick/dying. Give him the night to recoup and I bet he will be fine in the morning. He starting acting weird today correct?

TMartinez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Mandarin, Fl
Ok well I got up this morning and he was up and about swimming around. I put some flakes in the tank and he ate so he seems to be better.

I left the damsel in the bowl all night and he actually survived. I returned him to the store this am. I'm gonna let the clown have the tank to himself for a little while.

Yes the lfs water is RODI with a salinity of 1.024 so for me, it just made sense to buy the water at 1.15 a gallon cause i only need 26 or so gallons.

Thank you so very much for helping me through last night. It was a big sigh of relief when i saw him swimming around this am and eating.

What should I do about my ammonia? Should I pick up some Ammo-lock? Should I stick to flakes for now?

calpoly12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
Paso Robles, CA
Sweet!! Glad to see that he is all better! What I would do is monitor your ammonia, if you see a spike grab some ammo-lock. With a new tank it is going to have a little bit of ammonia and thats ok, it will eventually disappear. I would definitely stick with the flakes if he is eating that, you could do mysis a few times a week if you wanted.

I have found a way to feed mysis that actually works out pretty well. Because you only have one fish in your tank at the moment, you realistically only need about 1/4 of a cube of mysis, thats the MAX. Anyway, cut 1/4 of a cube off and put it into a clean cup. Mix in some saltwater and stir. Next, get a syringe and suck the liquid out of the cup and the mysis will come with it. Now that you have your concoction of mysis, INVERT the tube so that the tip is vertical in the air. The mysis will sink away from the "open end" of the syringe. Simply drain the water out and this will eliminate some of the small pieces that your clown wont eat and that would only add to the ammonia. Now suck some saltwater back up and feed to your clown. Squirt one shrimp in at a time so your clown can get all the shrimp and this way none will be wasted.
Thats the method I use anyway, its better than dropping a frozen part of a cube in the tank or just simple squirting in a ton of shrimp. Doing it that way will be quicker, but the amount of food that the clown will miss will only aid to ammonia.

I feed frozen food like three or four times a week, brine shrimp two or three and pellets the rest of the time. I like to vary their diet a little bit. One thing about the brine shrimp is you definitely need to suck them into a syringe and then DRAIN the water out of the syringe. This basically removes the crap water from the brine shrimp. Suck water back up into the syringe and feed the fish one or two at a time. When you get more fish, you can shoot three or four at at time to make things quicker. The reason your dont want to add water from the brine shrimp bowl to your tank is that the water in the brine shrimp bowl is super high in ammonia. The water just skyrockets in ammonia because of the dying brines, their fecal matter, and no circulation/filtration. This is just another way to keep your water levels in check and keep your inhabitants happy
If you get a chance take a pic of your set up and clown!!!

TMartinez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Mandarin, Fl
Cool, I'll try the syringe thing and see if that helps.

I'll try to post up some new pics. My Nikon doesn't wanna focus to well on the clown, he's quick

Once again thanks for all the help and advice

calpoly12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
Paso Robles, CA
No problem dude! If you ever need any help shoot me a message and I will do my best to help you out!

TMartinez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Mandarin, Fl
Fish seems to be doing fine. But the algae came back. I cleaned all the walls and stuff yesterday. I had the while 10,000 k lights on all day and the actinics on for only 3. I don't have any coral just LR. What can I do to get rid of it? Any danger to my clown? The lfs says saltwater goes through algae blooms and just to ride it out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store