Have you ever noticed your fish seem twice the size when they are out of the water?

Jkempel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2013
Empel - Netherlands
Bought some fish once that I thought that would fish nicely.
Turned out to be feeders.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk App

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
I shortchange almost every fish I have. I hear vendors and lfs talking sizes and I sometimes think they're crazy, but 9/10 times they're right.

I look at a 12" fish and it's always bigger once netted. I thought my Pearsei was a foot and he's every bit of 15".....

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
While they are in the tank, you fish may seem large-ish, but if you net them to re-tank them or re-home them, or for any other reason, they come out of the water and they seem like giants!!!

So many times i've said to my self or aloud, "wow this thing is huge"! when I get them in the net and out of the water.

I wonder if the tank glass and water cause an optical change so that you don't fully appreciate the size of the animal?

Have you taken notice of this before?
Djaalix agrees with you. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...iving-at-a-shop-nearby/page5&highlight=convex

I have not noted that. It looks like I am an exception. Anyhow, correct me please if I am wrong, but I always thought (and I thought I read) the opposite.

A fish appears the biggest in a spherical fishbowl, which acts like a convex lens and gives a magnified virtual image of the fish because of the refraction.

In a perfectly rectangular tank, the fish only appears at a smaller depth than they really are, that is closer to you and so does the back wall as well. But glass bends and this places it in between a strongly-curved bowl and a perfectly flat rectangle viewing panel. Hence, the more it bends, the larger the exaggeration.

http://scienceline.ucsb.edu/getkey.php?key=1783

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I shortchange almost every fish I have. I hear vendors and lfs talking sizes and I sometimes think they're crazy, but 9/10 times they're right.

I look at a 12" fish and it's always bigger once netted. I thought my Pearsei was a foot and he's every bit of 15".....
I recently sold some cichlids out of my 210g tank and had advertised them at 6", when I caught them they were 8.25" and 8.5". So my Pearsei which I think is 11" must be at least 13". And after removing the other two cichlids I swear my Pearsei has had a growth spurt, so who knows maybe 14"....

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Lol I actually couldn't give a crabro away because I told the guy it was around 5".

Pulled him out and he's about 7.5-8" and the guy said "no way" too big

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Ive joked with guys on my local forum that Im the one you want to buy fish from because it will always end up bigger that what I advertised it at.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store