Help ID these Gar fry

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Nice 03ltrain...plump those girls out out ship me a few when they start making your tank too crowded.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
lhamagedon;1978318; said:
This is a photo of my small Gator Gar. At least that is what the pet store told me it was.
that is a Florida/spotted gar, not an alligator gar. nice specimen though--
--solomon

lhamagedon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2008
Canada
E_americanus;1978978;1978978 said:
that is a Florida/spotted gar, not an alligator gar. nice specimen though--
--solomon
Are you 100 % sure this is a Florida Gar and not a Gator? I might have to contact the pet store.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
lhamagedon;1979193; said:
Are you 100 % sure this is a Florida Gar and not a Gator? I might have to contact the pet store.
1000% sure :)

check out the pics of juvenile alligator gars on www.primitivefishes.com; go to the gar section, and then alligator gar. you will see that they look very different from your Florida/spotted. also keep in mind that pet stores commonly mislabel gars, this problem goes all the way up to the collector/suppliers as well--
--solomon

lhamagedon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2008
Canada
E_americanus;1979972;1979972 said:
1000% sure :)

check out the pics of juvenile alligator gars on www.primitivefishes.com; go to the gar section, and then alligator gar. you will see that they look very different from your Florida/spotted. also keep in mind that pet stores commonly mislabel gars, this problem goes all the way up to the collector/suppliers as well--
--solomon
Thanks E_americanus for all information. I contacted the pet store and they are going to talk to the supplier. So we will see what happens.
This kind of sucks because I really wanted an Alligator Gar.

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
E_americanus;1973882; said:
at this size a shortnose gar will look nothing like a juvenile gator gar, so you may be looking at larger specimens...either way gators tend to look very different from the other species. shortnose/spotted/Florida gar at this size will look very similar, even longnoses sometimes look like shortnose/spotteds...just continue to update the pics and the true species will become clear within a week or two--
--solomon
but if they are shortnose that would mean that they shouldnt have the black stripe that they have. or do shortnoses lose the pattern in later stages?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
city_of_evil6661;1980252; said:
but if they are shortnose that would mean that they shouldnt have the black stripe that they have. or do shortnoses lose the pattern in later stages?
shortnoses can have quite the variable pattern as juveniles and even when they become adults. as you can see from this juvenile shot, a shortnose can still have a broad black stripe. juvenile gar patterns in general are quite variable among species and within species--
--solomon

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
lhamagedon;1980234; said:
Thanks E_americanus for all information. I contacted the pet store and they are going to talk to the supplier. So we will see what happens.
This kind of sucks because I really wanted an Alligator Gar.
you really wanted a fish that gets to 24inches in a year, 5ft in a few years and kills everything in the same tank?:screwy:

just a heads up:D do some research on alligator gars first...:)

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
E_americanus;1980617; said:
shortnoses can have quite the variable pattern as juveniles and even when they become adults. as you can see from this juvenile shot, a shortnose can still have a broad black stripe. juvenile gar patterns in general are quite variable among species and within species--
--solomon

so basically it comes back to the fact that all juvi gar look very similar. cuz i looked at the pic before i read your quote and thought it was a F/S. so do you know how often shortnoses show up in pet trade? cuz i would really love to raise one. one of about 5 or 6" would be great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store