Hi

API master freshwater test kit bought it when I started tank 5 weeks ago

I only relaced my emp filter media it was very dirty the ac I didnt

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
What do you mean by set up 5 weeks ago? Was it set up with cycled filter media?

If the tank was freshly setup, new filter media and everything your tank is not even cycled yet.

What kind of fish , what size and how many do you have in there? When were they added?

If the tank wasn't cycled when it was "set up" even after doing water changes the ammonia will quickly go back up to a high level.

You should be testing your nitrites and nitrates also or else you'll never know when the tank is fully cycled.

Which filter media on the EMP did you replace? Hopefully not the biowheel, or else your tank will start cycling all over again.

If your tank is only partially through the cycling process even if your ammonia disappears your nitrites may go sky high, and that's just as bad as the high ammonia.

MonsterP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2007
ohio
I setup with bio-spira and fishless cycling it was perfect after fishless cycle was done I added neons and now I have 1 serra geryi in their 9 inches I dont know what happened I guess ill just have to wait it out and keep water chage

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Did you remember to add ammonia while you were cycling?

Yeah yeah I know, may seem like a dumb question, I've seen people to do it though *shrug*.

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
You still haven't mentioned nitrites or nitrates, how did you know it was cycled if you didn't test them?

stevebussard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
big rapids, Michigan
In my experience, multiple water changes, (large or small) in a new tank that has an amonia issue is a bad idea. I had a very simmilar issue a couple years back with a tank I had just set up recently. Everything was perfect for about a month, then bam! Huge amonia problem. I thought I needed to change the water more, it seemed to get even worse. I changed the filter because it seemed fairly dirty. I definatley got worse. I lost 3 fish, and was about to lose my mind. My local pet store owner told me to use amonia lock 2 (I believe that was it) and use ocean salt. Even in fresh water tanks it is good for your fish is small amounts. I put in the amount it said to for helping heal fish (1tbsp/ 10 gallons) and used the amonia lock. Within 2 days all was well, and using the salts everytime I change the water has kept the amonia gone. I used to change the filter media every time I changed the water. DON'T. No matter how dirty your filter media is, give it at least a day to help the natural bacteria build back up. Without the bacteria in the water, nothing is able to fight against amonia.

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
stevebussard;1020567; said:
In my experience, multiple water changes, (large or small) in a new tank that has an amonia issue is a bad idea. I had a very simmilar issue a couple years back with a tank I had just set up recently. Everything was perfect for about a month, then bam! Huge amonia problem. I thought I needed to change the water more, it seemed to get even worse. I changed the filter because it seemed fairly dirty. I definatley got worse. I lost 3 fish, and was about to lose my mind. My local pet store owner told me to use amonia lock 2 (I believe that was it) and use ocean salt. Even in fresh water tanks it is good for your fish is small amounts. I put in the amount it said to for helping heal fish (1tbsp/ 10 gallons) and used the amonia lock. Within 2 days all was well, and using the salts everytime I change the water has kept the amonia gone. I used to change the filter media every time I changed the water. DON'T. No matter how dirty your filter media is, give it at least a day to help the natural bacteria build back up. Without the bacteria in the water, nothing is able to fight against amonia.
I dunno if there's a discrepancy because you are referring to salt rather than fresh (though I don't see how, since I keep both), but if no water changes are done ammonia will build to lethal levels and the fish will die.
If your tank is cycling while you have fish in it you MUST do water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrites down.
Abandoning water changes is no use at all. In fact, if your ammonia builds to an extremely high level it will actually inhibit bacterial growth, not help it.
Not to be harsh, but telling someone to slow on water changes or completely abandon them is a good way to get them to kill their fish.

As far as ammonia lock, prime has the same neutralizing effect on ammonia.

Doing water changes isn't going to inhibit the bacteria, you are still leaving a certain amount for them to feed on.

I agree, definately don't change or remove filter media, this is where the bacteria reside, your primary filter media should NEVER be completely removed.

stevebussard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
big rapids, Michigan
I wasn't refering to salt, I don't and never have owned a salt water aquarium. I'm not an expert on this topic by any means. I was simply stating my experience with a very simmilar issue, and how I was told to fix it. It worked for me, take my limited knowlege for what it's worth. I use a small amount of salt in my freshwater tank all the time. It works as a water conditioner, and as I said, it helped with my amonia issue. Oh, and I think I may have not clearly said what I intended to. I didn't mean to completely stop doing the water changes, but what I was told to do is do smaller ones (around 30%) every few days rather than 50%+ every day. Sorry for the confusion I caused

Angel51087

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2007
UK
imo it sounds like you are changing too much too often, i usually suggest 30-40% wc every 3-4 days so the fish dont get shocked and that the water can settle before testing again. doing such large changes may restart as wyldfya said. i would chill a little with it and let nature take its course.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store