Help To Bring Asian Aros Back To The US...

xxblwn408

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2005
iN A sMALL pADDeD RoOm
pounder808;861364; said:
yeah I could make alot of ponds at my house:headbang2
I hope the site will help to educate and legalize the asian aro.

Pounder-If you were to raise asians, you better build a electric fence to keep the crack heads out (call me a crack head with a bucket:naughty: )

I like where you are from. Finally coming to grips with it. Coming out of that CLOSET soon?:ROFL:

PMK

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2006
Doing water changes
Oddball;842611; said:
The organization will have a voice at the european conference. And, the conference will have aro farm owners in attendance.
The problem with establishing US breeding operations is that these aros are banned from entering the country due to their current status on the ESA. There are no "proper permits" to obtain because they don't, as yet, exist. That's part of what the site is trying to achieve.

They are not banned completely. There is an aquarium in new york aquarium in coney island who has one on display 7th and 8th pick down.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69030&highlight=york

Now the really important question is did they get this fish in the US prior to any of the laws being changed. If they got it in prior to any of these changes were pretty much SOL. Unless we could track down another LEGAL asian aro that just by chance was the opposite sex and would breed. And of course the owners would have to agree to this obviously. So in a nutshell this is liking winning the lottery. It just ain't gonna happen.

Now for the good news is that if they got the fish in recently and none of the laws have changed then there is a way to get one in :headbang2 now that if we did find a technical loop hole in the systems, Im 100000000% sure it will be a very lengthy and possibly costly venture. Now heres another question if you can get an asian legally. How many can you get? And without even knowing if its even possible to do this i can tell you the answer will be NO. So in order to breed these guys we would need multiple people getting them and then sadly givening them up (take ine for the team gipper) so that they can be put together to breed.

wizzin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
East of Pittsburgh
Public aquariums can get a permit to import them. You can also get a permit for scientific reasons. You CANNOT get a permit for personal/pet reasons. Period!

PMK;890068; said:
They are not banned completely. There is an aquarium in new york aquarium in coney island who has one on display 7th and 8th pick down.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69030&highlight=york

Now the really important question is did they get this fish in the US prior to any of the laws being changed. If they got it in prior to any of these changes were pretty much SOL. Unless we could track down another LEGAL asian aro that just by chance was the opposite sex and would breed. And of course the owners would have to agree to this obviously. So in a nutshell this is liking winning the lottery. It just ain't gonna happen.

Now for the good news is that if they got the fish in recently and none of the laws have changed then there is a way to get one in :headbang2 now that if we did find a technical loop hole in the systems, Im 100000000% sure it will be a very lengthy and possibly costly venture. Now heres another question if you can get an asian legally. How many can you get? And without even knowing if its even possible to do this i can tell you the answer will be NO. So in order to breed these guys we would need multiple people getting them and then sadly givening them up (take ine for the team gipper) so that they can be put together to breed.

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
wizzin;890207; said:
Public aquariums can get a permit to import them. You can also get a permit for scientific reasons. You CANNOT get a permit for personal/pet reasons. Period!

are you sure ???

i was told no way to import..........but you could house a fish that was seized if you had all the correct permits :confused: :confused: :confused:

wizzin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
East of Pittsburgh
johnptc;890274; said:
are you sure ???

i was told no way to import..........but you could house a fish that was seized if you had all the correct permits :confused: :confused: :confused:
Absolutely sure. Here: http://www.fws.gov/permits/applicationforms/ApplicationE.shtml#ESA

They have specific permits for Museum Scientific Loans, Export/Re-import/ Biological Samples. However, I have not found any records of museums importing arowanas, but I did find record of museums accepting seized fish. So, while it's technically legal, it looks like nobody has attempted to import them for a museum/aquarium public display. Also, I know for a fact that several people have applied for permits to import arowana, and to date no permits have been issued.

johnptc

Feeder Fish
Apr 6, 2005
los angeles
www.fishtankwebcam.com
wizzin;890308; said:
Absolutely sure. Here: http://www.fws.gov/permits/applicationforms/ApplicationE.shtml#ESA

They have specific permits for Museum Scientific Loans, Export/Re-import/ Biological Samples. However, I have not found any records of museums importing arowanas, but I did find record of museums accepting seized fish. So, while it's technically legal, it looks like nobody has attempted to import them for a museum/aquarium public display. Also, I know for a fact that several people have applied for permits to import arowana, and to date no permits have been issued.

thanks for the link.... when i spoke to cali dfg... i was told no way becuase of lacey act........john

wizzin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
East of Pittsburgh
johnptc;890325; said:
thanks for the link.... when i spoke to cali dfg... i was told no way becuase of lacey act........john
The Lacey Act only applies to specimens that are illegally imported. Arowanas are illegal for import under the Endangered Species Act. The ESA actually provides a means for importing listed species under very limited circumstances. So, in theory, if you lawfully import a species under the ESA, you could lawfully sell/trade across state borders regardless of the ESA. This is something that has caused a snag in my project with the USFWS.

The problem is that once the fish are here (legally) a federal law cannot impede on a person's rights to sell the fish to someone in another state. Interstate commerce actually overrules federal law in this case. The catch is that the permit is for "take", which includes "possess". So, while the act of selling the fish may not be illegal, provided that you obtained it legally, the person buying would be breaking the law by "possessing" an endangered species without proper permits.

Hope this clears it up.

Below is the actual text from the Lacey Act: (#1 in bold and underlined below is the key)

§ 3372. Prohibited acts

(a) Offenses other than marking offenses

It is unlawful for any person--

(1) to import, export, transport, sell, receive, acquire, or purchase any fish or wildlife or plant taken, possessed, transported, or sold in violation of any law, treaty, or regulation of the United States or in violation of any Indian tribal law;

(2) to import, export, transport, sell, receive, acquire, or purchase in interstate or foreign commerce--

(A) any fish or wildlife taken, possessed, transported, or sold in violation of any law or regulation of any State or in violation of any foreign law, or

(B) any plant taken, possessed, transported, or sold in violation of any law or regulation of any State;

(3) within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States (as defined in section 7 of Title 18)--

(A) to possess any fish or wildlife taken, possessed, transported, or sold in violation of any law or regulation of any State or in violation of any foreign law or Indian tribal law, or

(B) to possess any plant taken, possessed, transported, or sold in violation of any law or regulation of any State; [FN1]

(4) to attempt to commit any act described in paragraphs (1) through (4). [FN2]

(b) Marking offenses

It is unlawful for any person to import, export, or transport in interstate commerce any container or package containing any fish or wildlife unless the container or package has previously been plainly marked, labeled, or tagged in accordance with the regulations issued pursuant to paragraph (2) of section 3376(a) of this title.

(c) Sale and purchase of guiding and outfitting services and invalid licenses and permits

(1) Sale

It is deemed to be a sale of fish or wildlife in violation of this chapter for a person for money or other consideration to offer or provide--

(A) guiding, outfitting, or other services; or

(B) a hunting or fishing license or permit;

for the illegal taking, acquiring, receiving, transporting, or possessing of fish or wildlife.

(2) Purchase

It is deemed to be a purchase of fish or wildlife in violation of this chapter for a person to obtain for money or other consideration--

(A) guiding, outfitting, or other services; or

(B) a hunting or fishing license or permit;

for the illegal taking, acquiring, receiving, transporting, or possessing of fish or wildlife.

(d) False labeling offenses

It is unlawful for any person to make or submit any false record, account, or label for, or any false identification of, any fish, wildlife, or plant which has been, or is intended to be--

(1) imported, exported, transported, sold, purchased, or received from any foreign country; or

(2) transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

In contrast, the text from the ESA (prohibited acts) is here:
http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=browse_usc&docid=Cite:+16USC1538

PMK

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2006
Doing water changes
wizzin;890207; said:
So your saying there is a way. So techinically if your a public aquarium you can have them so whats to stop me from getting a federal tax id number saying i own a SMALL public aquarium? IS there any specifications as to what they call a public aquarium? Do you have to be a succesful business? Is there a requirement for Square footage you have to have or certain species you need to keep to be a public aquarium? The Main question here is what do they consider a public aquarium? Now this may help some of us but not all for breeding.

Now for scientific reasons I am positive you'll need a variety of things to provide so I wouldnt go there since that coudl ge really sticky.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store