Help with sick Flowerhorn

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
Looking at some of anzo1993 anzo1993 other tanks, and fish - any chance of cross contamination? You've had some recent health issues in other tanks, something as simple as using the same water siphon could potentially introduce a pathogen to a tank where the fish is more susceptible, such as your FH.
I have a few different siphons for my tanks for that reason in the last few years I’ve become very paranoid about cross contamination so some siphons I only use for certain tanks, this particular Flowerhorn has his own siphon for his tank never been used for my other tanks

Reactions: RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Yeah, so hard to say sometimes with fish illness. Hope he comes around for you.

Reactions: anzo1993

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Looking at some of anzo1993 anzo1993 other tanks, and fish - any chance of cross contamination? You've had some recent health issues in other tanks, something as simple as using the same water siphon could potentially introduce a pathogen to a tank where the fish is more susceptible, such as your FH.
I did not know this. anzo1993 anzo1993 RD. RD. is correct if you've had other health issues in other tanks cross contamination is a possibility with many vectors including you, your nets and as RD. said using the same water siphon to change water. I am confused though as earlier in this thread anzo1993 anzo1993 you said none of your other tanks had any issues?

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
There was a local breeder of discus that years ago was discussing airborne transmission in some discus fish rooms. It was referred to as the black plague.
Discus Plague aka Black Death Disease is a Viral Infection | Discus.com

Not that I think this was the issue with the OP's FH, but it always make me consider cross contamination when someone has more than one tank. Even our own hands can introduce pathogens when working in more than one tank. Most folks don't think about sanitizing their own hands in between tanks.

Reactions: koltsixx

koltsixx

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2007
Bronx, NYC
Agreed that's why I said even we can be a vector. Moving around decos, cleaning the tank or anything that gets your arm wet and then you move on to the next tank. I myself have made the mistake of using the same net and accidentally spread ich from one tank to another.

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
I did not know this. anzo1993 anzo1993 RD. RD. is correct if you've had other health issues in other tanks cross contamination is a possibility with many vectors including you, your nets and as RD. said using the same water siphon to change water. I am confused though as earlier in this thread anzo1993 anzo1993 you said none of your other tanks had any issues?
Last issue I had was with a tank in the summertime but that’s the last thing I can remember and that was a case of fin rot

anzo1993

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2016
Canada
Agreed that's why I said even we can be a vector. Moving around decos, cleaning the tank or anything that gets your arm wet and then you move on to the next tank. I myself have made the mistake of using the same net and accidentally spread ich from one tank to another.
Now that I think of it possibly decor might have been moved into the tank that may have caused this but still not sure if it’s a parasite or what

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store