MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
boston

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
get yourself some black worms quick. cheaper than ghost shrimp but they need to be maintained as well. you hardly ever see a ray turn those down. good luck!

Ray5

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2012
Basement of Rays
View attachment 748540View attachment 748538View attachment 748539those rays are extremely skinny, the pics of the rays the seller posted is definitely not in the same conditions as the once you received. no wonder it was a blowout sale.
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?461158-Blow-out-female-Henlei-s
good luck, they will have a long recovery road ahead of them. I think the was a reason why he is banned from MFK previously.
They are from the same bunch but those are not the ones I ordered pictured above, I know they are very skinny and I do know about internal parasites that travel and come with the teritory of WC and pushing them around to the importer to the seller to the buyer but I know Shawn would do the right thing in any case something should happen , they are settling in at the moment and with close observation I start them out on foods I see they will take and keep it to a minimum . After at least a weeks time if I see no changes I then will does with Binox which has done wonders for me in the past but makes the water bright yellow and requires a lot of water changes as you treat but its well worth it . Thanks for the concerns and the compliments they do have amazing potential and I will do my best in helping them get back to normal . I didnt want WC was trying for CB but I loved the way these looked so I went with it, I was told by Shawn they are eating Market shrimp mixed with Red Wigglers chopped up , I was also told he starved them for 3 days because of shipping and well there are some consequences with doing that it does and very well did bother me to see them so skinny , as for ghost shrimp I have a guy by me that sells me a ton for very little money and they always worked for me in the past so i tried it and sure enough they went nuts when they hit the water and scarfed them down I will keep you all posted I really do hope they make it .

bcarlos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
This is NOT the result of a three day starvation. There is no way these rays were eating MP, RW, or anything since they've been shipped in.

X2 on Pete's advice. Overfeeding could be dangerous in this state. Slow, frequent feeding and a lot of attention. If you're lucky, they will make it.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I love these threads.....

Let all the experts chime in..... I'm sure everyone in this thread KNOWS exactly what those rays were eating before they were shipped. Just like any other rays they just take to market shrimp immediately after not eating for weeks. It's a myth you have to get them started on blackworms, then to worms then to shrimp, OR maybe it's NOT. Maybe that has already been done?

Obviously you fellas aren't on the import export end very much or you'd know skinny rays are a reality. That's just the way it is. I recently recieved 3 rays from Canada that came in looking worse then those do. Doesn't matter what they look like. If they're eating they'll get better.

The buyer stated he knew what he was getting into, just part of the hobby when you buy fresh WC.

The problem is everyone wants to pay a couple bucks over import price for a ray that's been nursed back to health, but fail to understand the time and money involved in getting them better. Everyone wants rays for cheap, so they should be prepared to do some work themselves.

If you want to blame someone maybe the blame should be placed down south.... There's a saying about not hating the player but rather the game. Importing WC rays seems to be the game in this case, and everyone that has them is a player.

Most people on this board have proven there is no way to please all the little "cliques" here. Some like to buy rays from one person and that person's screwed 27 people while 27 others had great experiences. We've already PROVEN that there is NO vendor out there we can't turn away and run off. Everyone is quick to drag other people's name through the mud, but in reality these are the people making this hobby possible for us. Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge till we all start importing ourselves and get to lay eyes on what gets sent up here first hand. Most eyes here have no idea cause the importers quickly begin what they do every day, damage control. I've been on this board for years and watch every one that sell rays get cut down, bad talked, bannished, and yet somehow we're all able to continue to find rays to buy. I think we're pretty lucky in that regard.

We've all seen the nice rare fish available everywhere but the US in another thread on here. Americans as a whole are cheap when it comes to fish in comparison to the other countries. Don't you think that would be directly reflected in the quality and health of the fish our country recieves?

There's 2 sides to every story but that's irrelevant here. People here know the story by looking at a picture. Just another reason I am so reluctant to post any pics. I've had rays since the beginning of the year that I'd love to show off but guess what? They werea victim in this game of exportation. Still after 2 months I don't consider them to be the same "healthy" we all take for granted everyday. If people here were actually capable of being opened minded I would have posted pics but they aren't. I'm nothing but greatfull that the guy I got my skinny emaciated rays from went through all the trouble to ship them to me and they arrived alive. I could care less if they're skinnny for the next year, I don't care. I knew what I was buying and am happy I bought them. If the original poster in this thread feels the same then everyone needs to just back up, think for a minute and maybe keep thier thoughts to themselves. Why? Cause this guy is jazzed about his new rays and you all are gonna "F" that up for him. Let the guy be a happy hobbyist and kick back and wait for updates, and be thankfull some people here still have the balls to post pictures for you all to judge.

Just my .02.... I used to be one quick to judge, but after seeing stuff 1st hand my opinion changed.

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
Very well stated DB..Good luck with your new rays.. Since you already spent your big $ i gues you know what to do :) Are they surfing around and act normal? I would maybe take out that stone and wood tho, since they look pretty crouded between the wood and window.

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
As long as the seller was clear about the condition of the rays I see no problem with it at all. But I also think if that question is not asked then people will draw their own conclusions which I think can be unfair to the seller. It is a tough buisness and I don't envy anyone in it, I work part time at a lfs and I would like to strangle customers some times. I can only imagine the stres involved with import/export and wholesale

Can't wait for updates :) , Sorry if I was part of the derail that was not my intention

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
It's easy. Feed the rays and sell them for a higher price. If nobody wants to pay the higher price, get into a different business. If the only rays being made available for export are emaciated, stop bringing them in. Jeff Rapps managed to get me some WC rays that were in great shape.. I wonder how that was possible if all the rays being sent up are in this kinda state?

This has nothing to do with cliques - nobody wants anything but to find a reputable seller. When I received a ray in a similar state last year you asked me where it came from because you wanted to be sure to never deal with the seller. Now you're defending another seller who sold rays in the same state, because he's a friend, instead of looking objectively and seeing what pretty much everyone else is seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store