how do you do a water change?

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
Python, did not fit my faucet had to go to the hardware store and weld 2 pieces together. Now it works amazing, will never go without.

uploadfromtaptalk1393538867398.jpg

johnny819

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
philadelphia
what tha?

I'm no rocket surgeon but I think you're doing it wrong.

Do you have drip loops on your plugs? You may find some helpful information here.
hahahah no it was not like that, i do have a drip loop for that. the water went from my bathroom sink down through one of the columns in my house coming out the electrical sockets and also down to the basement, it was no where near the fish tank

johnny819

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2014
philadelphia
also can i use my in tank thermometer and just hold it under the faucet to check the temperature of the water before i start putting it back in the tank? not sure if it will work right it it is not fully submerged

Simcan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2005
Toronto
Everyone's set-up with sinks and faucets and distances and heights is different so I think you just have to figure it out. I vacuum gravel while siphoning, take out 50% of the water. Then I run a hose connected to my faucet with a copper adaptor directly into the tank. I just check the temperature of the water coming out the hose and dip my finger in the remaining water in the tank and try to keep it about the same, usually I am off by a few degrees but not by much. I add Prime either before the refill or during it...Not to fussed about which. I have done a million water changes with this method and never had an issue. Buckets are a pain!

jechrz

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2013
Canada
...I add Prime either before the refill or during it...
+1, same as how I do it :D

also can i use my in tank thermometer and just hold it under the faucet to check the temperature of the water before i start putting it back in the tank? not sure if it will work right it it is not fully submerged
I'd just go with slightly warm or cool (not freezing) water, it won't harm your fish and they do love the flow of cool water, kinda refreshes them a bit. This saves you the hassle of trying to exactly or closely match your tap water temp with your tank water temp.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I use a huge pool filter pump with a clear plastic hose from Home Depot (1 1/2 inch or around there) and just let the water go outside. The pump has a pre filter (like a plastic sieve.)
To refill - fill up with a garden hose. I have both cold, and hot, water faucets outside, sistered together by a "Y" attachment
No pain, all gain :)

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
Submersible pump attached to a hose and drain out the window into a plastic trash can. Have a spigot right outside the window and refill with a hose, a cobbled together adapter and a motorhome water filter. No chemicals needed. That way I can use the water for edible plants.

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
There is a back flush port on my canister, eheim 2262, I attach a hose there, drain the tank water out to the back yard, then add prime in the tank and fill back up with a garden hose.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store