how do you do a water change?

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
For my 150gal I siphon the water out with a tube through the backdoor. I then take the showerhead off, pop on a hose adapter and clamp down a clear hose, put the other end in the tank and turn on the water - work great. Of course I do have a hose holder on the tank so it doesn't come out of the tank when i turn the water on. I add a good chunk of water conditioner in before I turn the water on and while I am filling it. In total I add enough to treat the total gallonage of the tank.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
We have a three quarter inch hose we syphon and vacuum the big tanks over 50 gallons. Then add seachem safe and add tap water with a garden hose from a hot cold mixture via y hose. We usually add a little cooler water hoping to induce spawning. On the smaller tanks we shove a half inch hose into the larger one and syphon and vacuum. Adding the water is done in the same matter as larger tanks. This system is very effective and saves time when you have over 100 tanks to maintain. The seachem safe is also a money saver in this setup. Thank you R.D. for the sticky that got us onto seachem safe. With our water and chlorine ratio a quarter teaspoon treats 300 gallons of water.

cdrake261

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2013
Nashville, IN
I never liked using the gravel vac part of the python, but I use it to fill my tanks. I use my eheim quick vac for keeping the tank tidy between water change, normal gravel vac going into a 18 gal container which I have a 250gph pump to drain it, and python to refill.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
I use a 32G Rubbermaid trash can, drain the water from the tank to the can with a vinyl tube then bring the can to the bath room and dump it there. Then fill the water from the sink(at the right temperature) to the can(after I clean off the left over dirt from the tank) and bring it back to the tank. Great work out!:naughty:

just kidding, no one have time to lift a can of over 30 gallon of water and bring it around like that, that thing is like 300lb. I also use a wheel base on the can and a water pump to pump the water out from the can to sink and from can to tank.

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
For my upstairs tank I use a 50ft garden hose to start a siphon from the yard pipes and drain into the garden. Then fill it back up with same hose. I only use that for 25% WC's because there's only cold water coming from that pipe.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I currently use the buckets, its a mega pain, especially on the back! Ordered the python, hoping it fits onto my shower with or without adapter; and hoping I get no leaks!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I currently use the buckets, its a mega pain, especially on the back! Ordered the python, hoping it fits onto my shower with or without adapter; and hoping I get no leaks!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

I will never go back to buckets, ever ever ever ever ever ever. :)

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store