How often do you guys wash filters?

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
I clean mine out whenever the flow gets very slow, but I have three on one tank and never clean more than one at a time.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Skurj

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2013
GTA Ontario Canada
clean my canisters 3-4 times a yr

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
On the few tanks left that I do run canisters on, I keep mechanical as such and bio as such. I usually clean the mech every month or so.

For the rest of my setups I pull the socks at each water change or once a week on drip tanks. I can change all the socks in about 10 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
On the few tanks left that I do run canisters on, I keep mechanical as such and bio as such. I usually clean the mech every month or so.

For the rest of my setups I pull the socks at each water change or once a week on drip tanks. I can change all the socks in about 10 minutes.

Hey, John I'm going with socks for my 55gal sump I'll be building this summer. Trying to figure the best method to hang socks. Can you shoot a picture of your rigs or explain how you do yours?

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Hey, John I'm going with socks for my 55gal sump I'll be building this summer. Trying to figure the best method to hang socks. Can you shoot a picture of your rigs or explain how you do yours?
Sure. I use a bunch of different ways. Most are the Bulk Reef Supply hangers though. For the 75 gallon tanks the trim is too wide to hang them so I used algae magnets for the ones on the 300 and a big ole 6" pvc wye for the 135......

The rest use the sane hangers which is cool because they are convertible (4" or 7")

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1390593134.927338.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1390593176.795230.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1390593222.541063.jpg

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Thanks John!

Sorry for the hi-jack OP

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
What are you keeping to test weekly? Last time I checked params in my 300 was like never years ago Lol
I know it's overkill but i just got into the habit and carried it on lol rite now I only have a small giraffe cat, TT eel, 10 small clown loaches, odoe pike and I just got a motoro pup today :) it's a 225g

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
I tend to clean the mechanical media in my 125 every water change, if I'm lazy every other.

But If I'm changing the water due to high nitrates, it makes sense to clean out the mechanical and clear out those nitrates at the same time.

I of course never clean the bio media, but that's in a separate chamber of the sump anyways.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Just because water is clear doesn't mean it's healthy.
Allowing gunk to build up for months in a filter, turns many filters into nitrate and hydrogen sulfide factories.
Because they lulled me into a false sense of security, and were such a pain to clean, I stopped using canisters years ago.
I now use only filter socks for mechanical, and store biomedia in mesh bags in the sump, and try to clean filter socks, and rinse biomedia of excess gunk with every water change.
From my days as a microbiologist I found that gunk tends to smother biomedia, allowing hydogen sulfide bacteria to proliferate and build up, turning the media anaerobic, and defeating the intended purpose.
If when you clean your biomedia it smells like rotten eggs, this has already occurred. I find rinsing biomedia or shaking off debris in water from the tank, allows the most robust microbes to remain and have access to a more aerobic environment.
This is why a fluidized bed can use a small space to accomplish the same as large areas, the rinsing and constant sloughing off of spent bacteria lets the most robust and efficient to survive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store