hybridization

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
this argument will always have the same opinons, and end up in the same flames.

Some people think it's ok, others dont. Nothing that is posted will change anyones mind.

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
big train;585218; said:
Sorry wingback48 i like hybreds and look forward in buying them and trading them privetly and publicaly:naughty: .I am also trying to make my own hybred called a green devil :headbang2 it's a green terror X red devil i also belive that most any cichlid at a lfs has a good chance of being a hybred :WHOA: these days unless it's wild caught and there are not many of those around so it's a little to late to take precautions aginst them so lighten up and get a flowerhorn or some other cool hybred.lol:grinno:
You sir,
Are the worst kind. :D People that say stuff like that have no respect for the hobby IMHO

Hybrids occur in the wild. Absolutely.
But like Davo said:

People are hybridizing species that would typically never ever hybridize in the wild.
Stop screwing up the hobby.

Now,
The people that make hybrids in their own home for their own enjoyment without leaking any of it out of their own front door?
Fine with me. :D
If you accidently have 2 fish that spawn and make freaks of nature?
Fine :D

Just dont let the little mutants out of your house or expect REAL fish hobbiests to accept your hybridizing practices.

Other than that, I dont care WHAT you do in your little laboratories you call fish rooms. :nilly:

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
whats a hybred? lol

no i think i share the same view as nekojin, as to, wild hybrids fine. if it just happens in your tank, fine. if you choose to do it and to keep it until it dies and get enjoyment out of keeping that fish, then great, but i have a problem when it starts to effect fishkeeping amoung other things negatively.

there are so many cichlid species out there that are getting harder and harder to find "pure breeds" of due to accepted hybridisation to sell in the trade. it would be a far greater justice to conservation, (morals?), and keeping pure breeds in greater numbers than hybrids and in my opinion would be better off putting these efforts into breeding animals that dont have to be crossed. there is selective breeding or morph breeding (basically the same thing) which im not really into either, but at least that is a tad better than unnatural crosses. i fear that it is another case of money speaks louder. it would be better for wild fish to just breed the pure breds, but also without imbreeding issues aswell. then again it costs more and isnt as profitable, so scrap that crazy idea! :S

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
Selective breeding within species is fine with me. Thats how we make rarer morphs more available. The most important thing is biodiversity. A tank full of the same species, but diverse genetically is much more sound that a bunch of fry from the same parents. If we keep things diverse, but in the same species, we will be fine. For instance, guppies are weak genetically because they are so inbred. My "favorite" hybrid is a liger. It wasn't supposed to happen, and I don't want it to happen on purpose, but if I ever want to be a good magician, I NEED a LIGER. They are bred for their skills in magic. Sometimes things happen, you might even call me a freak of nature because my parents made me. I'm not a hybrid, I just swim in a different part of the gene pool. It happens to be slightly warmer over here, and the water isn't clear, it's slightly yellow:ROFL:

RobD23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2005
The Rex
I'm sorry but that is a crock of ****....if an individual knows he or she is getting a hybrid i say all the power to them. People that breed hybrids can control it very easily. Plus some of the most expensive fish in the hobby are hybrids...People don't be fooled you buy fish that look good, thanks to these people that breed hybrids, nicer fish are being introduced to the hobby.

Kill my flower horns:screwy:

ronnie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2005
i think hybrid fishes are ok

dont forget

people are hybrids too.

so there is nothing wrong.

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
fishcatch22;585233; said:
mating different races of humans, cats, and dogs is not hibrydization, because they are all the same species, just different races. a black man and a white man are both men, and a daschund and a golden retreiver are both dogs. they are just different races, subspecies, breeds, whatever you want to call them.
Um.. Really??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid

http://www.ask.com/web?q=hybrid&qsrc=2076&tool=dic

http://www.ask.com/web?q=dictionary:+hybridization&qsrc=1&o=0&l=dir&sugreqs=5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybridization

Hhmmm... Sounds like Hybrid is taking on a new meaning...

Cat species :)
http://www.agarman.dial.pipex.com/bco/species.htm Wild....

And yet different than Domestic cat species..

Paintsn

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
LoNg BeAcH, cA.
different strokes for different folks, just keep the peace!! that's all i care about.. man its a hobby, just dont take it to the personal level that's all .. darn fish fanatics.. i careless if its a purebred or hybrid.. if it has the quality, trait, and characteristics that awes my mind and soul.. I keep;)

dont like my hood then just dont come around.. but being a menace to society, then that is when we need the commandments:)

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
I think it is more like another version of ]\/[onsterFish Keeping ....

windsurfer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2006
sconnie
I don't like hybrids, but i've stopped railing at people that do. What percentage of hobbyists that are breeding hybrids and bringing them to their LFS read this forum - or any internet fish forum? About 10% or less is my guess.

So we go crazy about it here while the rest of the hybrid breeders don't hear it or don't care and they continue to take things to the LFS. So now we still don't know if what we're looking at is a hybrid or not when we go there.

The answer for me is wild fish. If I'm really serious about a breeding project - I order them from an importer. If you're really serious about breeding, using wild fish to outcross from your established line is one of the best ways to do it.

This hobby has always needed imports of wild fish and will continue to need it.

Also, if anyone crosses p. scalare with p. altum - I'm first in line! :D

windsurfer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store