hybridization

thebestincali2000

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2006
chico ,california
you guys are sounding more like nazis than me.keeping the breeds pure is total nazi-ism.
so if ur not a nazi,stop complaining about half-breeds and get over yourself.damn fish nazis. :D

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
Haters. I don't mind hybrids, I actually like a few of them. I just don't see why every now and then, someone gets a bug up their ass and has to talk about how much they hate hybrids. The hybrid breeders don't talk about how boring and ugly our pure fish are. To each his own. And the whole "playing God" thing, all of us have created an a "closed ecosystem" for us to enjoy captive animals(at there expense). So, God or prision guard... pic your choice. We are all guilty.

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
CHOMPERS;587953; said:
I am trying to cross Oscars with Guppies. ...Ya know, self eating feeders :D

Breeding F2 would be pretty easy too.

wingbak48

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2006
cali
im just saying dont release ur hybrids
dont sell or trade them into the fish store
keep ur hybrids at home

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
comparing hybrid fish to Nazis is probably the dumbest thing ever typed on the Internet congratulations :headbang2

I am not even going to go into the logistics of this statement. If you can't figure it out for yourself please do not reproduce.

fishfreak317

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
flowerhorncraze.com
ok, i personally have to disaggree with the compairsion of hybrids of American Cichlids to Cats and Dogs.

For these simple points:

1. Dogs and cats are impossible to breed together. So compairing New World species hybrids to dogs and cats is ridiculas. However some of these hybrids would be impossible to obtain in the Wild, because of geographical homeranges. However if some of these ranges cross it is very possible to some hybrids in the wild. Is this likely? Absolutly! If you wanted to capair to this as in dogs and cats, then a more likely scenario would be a crossing of New World Specie with Old World specie.

2. To my understanding of this topic. Possible natural occuring hybrids can reproduce, and a true hybrid cannot. So then you have to consider what is a True Hybrid. Just becasue a fish doesn't have a Scentific name, doesn't always make it a man-made hybrid. Cichlids are always getting re classified and mixed up but the scenitfic comunity. Also new species are discoved all the time. How does someone determine if these are not accually a natural occuring hybrid? Just not classified yet. Prime example in Africans is the puetotropheus species out there. Also the Powder Blue (soccofi/not sure the spelling of top of my head) isn't a natural occuring specie. But yet there isn't a store out there that don't carry these.

If this is offending to anyone, i am sorry. I just wanted to try to get a understanding across. Any feedback is very welcome, and if i am wrong. Sorry to any newbies out there.

The problem here is that some hobbiest's out there just get tired or bored with "pure breeds". As a result have took it to another level with hybrids. Flaming these people isn't the best way to try to correct, or prevent. Evolution of cichlids will determine how they survive in the future.

ChrisG23

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2006
Allentown,PA
fishfreak317;600320; said:
Evolution of cichlids will determine how they survive in the future.

:ROFL: PLEASE DONT TELL ME YOU THINK YOU WILL FURTHER THE EVOLUTION OF THIS SPEICEIS BY MONKEYING AROUND IN YOUR FISH TANK! :lol3:

stotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2005
essex uk
ChrisG23;600743; said:
I have a flower horn, if this is a hybrid fish, then please tell me what the 'parent' fish are. :popcorn:

There is no limit to the number of Flower Horn breeds. Even as you are reading this now there are ones with more colourful bodies and bigger humps on their heads beeing reared. Things like Red Dragon Horn, Golden Emperor Horn, Golden Fire Horn, Mercury Monkey Horn, Siamese Pearl Horn, etc.

This might help you;)

http://www.flowerfish.com/photo.html

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store