I need your help! Expert help or otherwise! What do I do with my tank???

Look up youtube tutorials of how to reseal an aquarium. It's easy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
But I can't just re-seal the spot or that particular seam correct?

Otherwise I'm just going to dispose of the whole tank. I don't have the inclination to reseal the whole thing.

Belly up

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2008
Wolverine, MI
When I said corner to corner I meant to go on the glass on both sides of the seam. I do agree though that where your tank is in your home makes a difference, mine are in the basement on a concrete floor. If they fail the only loss will be my fish.

I had that happen and decided to purchase a new tank. I wasn't willing to risk it. And at that size the tank its self is the cheapest part of the set up (at least in my case). If you have the time then you could strip the silicone and reseal it.
I agree, i was hoping there would be a quick fix. :(

I wonder why these air bubbles form? I have a really really really old tank - 25 years old - that is built like a tank. Is it just poor manufacturing? Not ensuring the silicone was stuck to both sides of the glass and the join?

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I wonder why these air bubbles form? I have a really really really old tank - 25 years old - that is built like a tank. Is it just poor manufacturing? Not ensuring the silicone was stuck to both sides of the glass and the join?
I'm gonna say it's poor craftsmanship and seem most of custom made tank by some LFS are bad (I ran into some custom acrylic tank that front view got bowl over time due to poor quality acrylic or using wrong acrylic thickness)

760fishaddict

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2014
yucca valley
I just had the same problem with my 75g its a easy fix u can get aquarium safe silicon from home depot for 5$ I just scraped out the old stuff applied the new silicone generously waited 48 hours for it to fully cure an applied one more coat and it's been holding like a champ ever since. You only have to scrape up the silicone in the spots needed I wouldn't do the whole tank

I just had the same problem with my 75g its a easy fix u can get aquarium safe silicon from home depot for 5$ I just scraped out the old stuff applied the new silicone generously waited 48 hours for it to fully cure an applied one more coat and it's been holding like a champ ever since. You only have to scrape up the silicone in the spots needed I wouldn't do the whole tank
I know this worked for you, but you're not concerned about new silicone sticking to dry silicone properly?

zukiGS500

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
Mke
I can't really tell from the pictures, but where is the air pocket? Is it where one piece of glass butts up against the other? Or is it just the inner seal? If it's just the inner seal, and you don't see any moisture in the void, I wouldn't worry about it. My understanding is that the strength comes from the thin layer of silicon between the pieces of glass, the inner seal is just to keep water away from and protect the structural seal.

I can't really tell from the pictures, but where is the air pocket? Is it where one piece of glass butts up against the other? Or is it just the inner seal? If it's just the inner seal, and you don't see any moisture in the void, I wouldn't worry about it. My understanding is that the strength comes from the thin layer of silicon between the pieces of glass, the inner seal is just to keep water away from and protect the structural seal.
The gap is in the void, not between the panes of glass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store