I need your help! Expert help or otherwise! What do I do with my tank???

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
I wouldn't bother with contacting the manufacturer. They'll always give you the worst case scenario to cover them selves and not be liable. That's been my experience.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Lusus_Naturae

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2010
OK, USA
It's kinda messy but you have one advantage to what I'm about to say - your silicone is black. Warning, be prepared for your silicone to dye if you do this with clear, sometimes it never comes out. I had to treat my fish once with methylene blue and I dumped it in fast and it dyed the clear silicone.

Fill the tank up, completely full - so the normal water pressure on the sides is there. If the bottom is a concern, put some old bricks in the tank carefully until the desired weight is there that would be equal or greater than normal gravel and decorations.

Get some methylene blue or even some food coloring for baking, and put some drops in the tank until the water is a obvious, bright color. Let the tank sit for 24 hours.

If the pocket in the silicone is seeping water into it from the tank, it usually will have dyed water inside it after 24 hours - and if the silicone is clear, it will have marks showing how much of the silicone is letting water through it. This makes is easy to cut out only what you really need to, to get to to leak and fix it. Since you have black silicone, you wont see it as easy as the clear, you want to dye the water a deep blue, or red, etc so if it does leak you can see it.

This works best when you can easily drain the tank into the lawn or down a drain. Once you have found the leak, mark it with a sharpie and let the marker dry - it stays on glass decently. Drain it, dry it, repair and fill it up for testing again.

I don't think this tank needs resealing though, it looks like a production bubble the way it stretches out like that. I think you're ok. If nothing else take a photo of it once a week or month and compare them over time to see if there are any changes.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
The bubble is not between where the glass meets but in the corner bead? In that case as another member said you are fine. The corner silicone is just there to protect the silicone between the glass, it has near real strength to it, some tanks are even built without it.

As long as that is the case, set that bad boy up and enjoy it. No need to worry about trying to do anything with it.

The bubble is not between where the glass meets but in the corner bead? In that case as another member said you are fine. The corner silicone is just there to protect the silicone between the glass, it has near real strength to it, some tanks are even built without it.

As long as that is the case, set that bad boy up and enjoy it. No need to worry about trying to do anything with it.
Great and confident answer! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store