Ich <again>

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
I know...i said a little more, considering that salt is 1.030. :)
Salt is 1.021 to 1.026 :) 1.030 is way too salty

Sent from my HTC One V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
Ok, I don't want to jinx my self so when you read this read it REALLY quietly in your head ;). The fish look a lot better after the w/c and adding some extra protein in their diet. I was thinking about picking up some selcon to enrich their food even more. Also, can I feed chunks of salmon, cod and swordfish? Would that be a good addition to their diet be cause my family eats these regularly.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
They are doing a lot better. Only get a few spots every few days since I am behind on a w/c. The only thing that concerns me is the clown has internal parasites so I will treat him with PraziPro.

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
In the display, I didn't know that PraziPro wasn't coral friendly until zoo diver told me. Good thing is did a wc before I left. Now I am out of town for the week and am going to have to figure out how to get it out of the system that won't be too complicated for the caregiver.

Pfisherman

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2006
Sandwich, Illinois
Take this as fact, because it is. if you have ich in your system, and you can see it on your fish, it is not treatable. to rid your tank of ich, you will have to go fallow for at least to months. setup a hospital tank and keep your fish in there for at least two months, you can treat them with copper in this system if you want to but it too will not kill the ich. copper will however kill most any other parasite that you may have on your fishies.

Hypo and freshwater dips do nothing for ich so save it. garlic is not a core either, it just promotes eating since it tastes good.

what else... oh yeah, ich is really alot like a common cold, but for a fish. if you keep the fish generally healthy they can fight it off with no problem, if they have other underlying factors then it is like giving the flu to an aids patient.

oh yea, one more thing, if you do nothing you will notice that your fish get infected at about the same time every month.

pdandy

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2011
Gretna, Nebraska
Take this as fact, because it is. if you have ich in your system, and you can see it on your fish, it is not treatable. to rid your tank of ich, you will have to go fallow for at least to months. setup a hospital tank and keep your fish in there for at least two months, you can treat them with copper in this system if you want to but it too will not kill the ich. copper will however kill most any other parasite that you may have on your fishies.

Hypo and freshwater dips do nothing for ich so save it. garlic is not a core either, it just promotes eating since it tastes good.

what else... oh yeah, ich is really alot like a common cold, but for a fish. if you keep the fish generally healthy they can fight it off with no problem, if they have other underlying factors then it is like giving the flu to an aids patient.

oh yea, one more thing, if you do nothing you will notice that your fish get infected at about the same time every month.
So basically you can't do anything? Is that what you're implying? What's the point of letting the DT fallow then?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
Just google marine ich and learn about its life cycle and some of these cures will make sense. I am choosing not to do anything since the fish seem fine and are eating fine.

Pfisherman

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2006
Sandwich, Illinois
So basically you can't do anything? Is that what you're implying? What's the point of letting the DT fallow then?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
letting the tank go fallow is the only cure for a tank with corals or inverts. copper will do the trick, but kill all of the non-fish inhabitants. corals and inverts are not effected by ich, but are possible carriers. take the fish out and treat them with copper in s hospital tank and let your dt go fallow for at LEAST six or eight weeks. this will allow all the free swimmers to die from not having a host.

if you treat with copper in a dt with sand and live rock it is POSSIBLE that the copper will be absorbed and leached back out over time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store