Ick and arowana...

alleykat0498

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2008
Central Virginia
The meds are probably making him feel a little worse than he already did. The gasping is much less, and I believe the current from the bubble bar was aggrivating him a little so I trimmed back my fluval gph a little bit to make the water a little calmer and the temp in his tank has dropped back down to 80 so that I could cut back on the aeration... Nothing much else that I can think of to do, but I'm hoping the eating problem is just the meds, and with the large amount of clean water he got this evening maybe he'll want a nice brunch tomorrow in the am. It looks to me that some of the ick may have fallen off but honestly its hard to tell. I have used this method with my o's for ick before with great success(I bought them at wally world and the ick was like a door prize). They never did lose there appetite for destroying anything edible though. The meds require two more doses to finish the cycle, every three days followed by a 50% WC 24 hours later..... Pain in the butt. By the way what temp do you keep your silvers tank at liz?

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
alleykat0498;2282858; said:
The meds are probably making him feel a little worse than he already did. The gasping is much less, and I believe the current from the bubble bar was aggrivating him a little so I trimmed back my fluval gph a little bit to make the water a little calmer and the temp in his tank has dropped back down to 80 so that I could cut back on the aeration... Nothing much else that I can think of to do, but I'm hoping the eating problem is just the meds, and with the large amount of clean water he got this evening maybe he'll want a nice brunch tomorrow in the am. It looks to me that some of the ick may have fallen off but honestly its hard to tell. I have used this method with my o's for ick before with great success(I bought them at wally world and the ick was like a door prize). They never did lose there appetite for destroying anything edible though. The meds require two more doses to finish the cycle, every three days followed by a 50% WC 24 hours later..... Pain in the butt. By the way what temp do you keep your silvers tank at liz?
i keep him about 80.. i know how finiky arows are .. did you move him into smaller tank or are you treating the large tank..? i am sure if you had success that good with Oscars you are doing good again.. let me know if he eats in the am... good luck... i have a good feeling he will be okay,,, just a long drawn out nightmare until its over..

alleykat0498

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2008
Central Virginia
Red Devil;2282880; said:
i keep him about 80.. i know how finiky arows are .. did you move him into smaller tank or are you treating the large tank..? i am sure if you had success that good with Oscars you are doing good again.. let me know if he eats in the am... good luck... i have a good feeling he will be okay,,, just a long drawn out nightmare until its over..
Long and drawn out is about as dead on of a description I can come up with. He is still in the same 55 grow out tank that he has always been in, it was just him and a tiny common pleco anyway so why stress him more just treat the larger tank and that way the pleco got treated as well...

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
alleykat0498;2282899; said:
Long and drawn out is about as dead on of a description I can come up with. He is still in the same 55 grow out tank that he has always been in, it was just him and a tiny common pleco anyway so why stress him more just treat the larger tank and that way the pleco got treated as well...
thats much better yes... that you did not change his environment.. i know i had that one experience with ICK in my community tank filled with angels and clown loaches... and the loaches have no scales so it was so hard to cure them... i lost some but some came through just fine... but it just goes on and on until the cycles stop... hated it... all because of one darn fish i added...

alleykat0498

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2008
Central Virginia
Well the battle against the ick has finally turned in my favor, this morning the spots are far fewer in number and size. The fish still is not eating but, if you remember my first post on MFK about him and his compadre not eating, guess I'm back at square one so to speak. I will go and get him some crickets today as those seem to have worked before, he is still ignoring the krill at the moment and I think he's probably weak from the meds and may take a few days to recouperate. The crickets should entice his natural instinct to eat seeing as how aro's eat almost an exclusive insect diet... He is still quite lethargic and laying on the substrate, so I am assuming that I'm not out of the woods just yet. Now I start part two of the waiting game to see if he will return to normal.:popcorn:

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
alleykat0498;2284977; said:
Well the battle against the ick has finally turned in my favor, this morning the spots are far fewer in number and size. The fish still is not eating but, if you remember my first post on MFK about him and his compadre not eating, guess I'm back at square one so to speak. I will go and get him some crickets today as those seem to have worked before, he is still ignoring the krill at the moment and I think he's probably weak from the meds and may take a few days to recouperate. The crickets should entice his natural instinct to eat seeing as how aro's eat almost an exclusive insect diet... He is still quite lethargic and laying on the substrate, so I am assuming that I'm not out of the woods just yet. Now I start part two of the waiting game to see if he will return to normal.:popcorn:
let me know if he eats the crickets..

alleykat0498

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2008
Central Virginia
Woofed em down like a RABID hyena!:grinno::grinno::grinno: That makes me one happy dude. I guess he wasnt really trained very well with prepped foods before all this happened and I may have to get him "back up to weight" and train him again but that is not a problem. Yesterday he was covered in white spots. Below I will post a pic that shows the last visible parasite on his dorsal area, and I'm certain that during the last two treatments will annihilate the rest of the ick in the tank, as well as on Lucky. Yep thats right folks wife finally came around and "helped" name the lil guy. Thanks liz for all your attention to this situation as it has been a real pain in my glute not to mention a stressful ordeal.

100_0578.JPG

Red Devil

Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
alleykat0498;2287296; said:
Woofed em down like a RABID hyena!:grinno::grinno::grinno: That makes me one happy dude. I guess he wasnt really trained very well with prepped foods before all this happened and I may have to get him "back up to weight" and train him again but that is not a problem. Yesterday he was covered in white spots. Below I will post a pic that shows the last visible parasite on his dorsal area, and I'm certain that during the last two treatments will annihilate the rest of the ick in the tank, as well as on Lucky. Yep thats right folks wife finally came around and "helped" name the lil guy. Thanks liz for all your attention to this situation as it has been a real pain in my glute not to mention a stressful ordeal.
:grinno::grinno::grinno:Just seeing him makes my day,... he looks great for all he has been through.. and Lucky owes it all to you... you did a great job and you are a very caring fishkeeper.... you should feel very fortunate but very proud since i think he is still here due to all your effort.. we just gave a little pep talk here and there..best to you for his continued improvement... :headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2:headbang2fantastic

s2convt

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Chicago IL
Just keep the treatment up for 3 or more days after you see the last spots. Ick tends to attack the gills first where you can't see them, to be safe, continue treating to prevent a secondary infection.

I'm having the same problems with my black aros, they got ick from the goldfish at petsmart. I have been treating with heat, salt and meds since Friday. Everyday is better but it's a waiting game.

alleykat0498

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2008
Central Virginia
I'm actually going to treat for six more just to be certain that it's over...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store