ID my big gar

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
pola;3907652; said:
You are wrong , this gar looks like a gator gar , but i m no sure ... maybe a tropical or even a hibrid form , more a crocodile for me
no i am not wrong. This is an easy ID that my unborn son could ID:irked:
If you had taken the time to look at the stickys you would realise how easy it is to ID. This is Def not a trop(they dont even look close at that size) and def not a hybrid. 1 they are nearly impossible to find :cry: and 2 it looks nothing like any hybrid really. similar to type 1 or 3 but 30 seconds of looking at the sticky would allow u to realise its not either of those

Take the time to look for ur self before asking. If need be, we had a few quiz threads alittle while ago that could help u learn to id.

pola

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Rio de Janeiro
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;3907764; said:
I.
Man , you are very agressive :irked: this behavior is accepted here ? :(

pola

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Rio de Janeiro
Fish_Savy :3;3907804; said:
Its a Florida gar !!!! :]
Mine looked just like that and it was about the same size !!!
]

Two rows of teeth on the upper jaw , i thing he is an astractosteus :)

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;3907764; said:
If you had taken the time to look at the stickys you would realise how easy it is to ID. This is Def not a trop(they dont even look close at that size) and def not a hybrid. 1 they are nearly impossible to find :cry: and 2 it looks nothing like any hybrid really. similar to type 1 or 3 but 30 seconds of looking at the sticky would allow u to realise its not either of those

Take the time to look for ur self before asking. If need be, we had a few quiz threads alittle while ago that could help u learn to id.
i do know pola from some other threads and other forums...i am sure they would have checked some gar ID stuff beforehand, so let's not be too harsh. large tropicals do actually look somewhat similar to medium sized gators at first glance (especially if you don't stare at gars all day), so that could be a tough ID in some ways. i made sure to double-check the big t-gar pics (no one has t-gars that big on this forum yet, but there are aquaculture/wild pics that show they do look somewhat similar at large sizes).
hybrids...i'm with you on that; they don't look like a type II, but type I looks somewhat similar.

all that being said, it is a nice looking gator; good luck with the fish--
--solomon

phillydog1958

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
E_americanus;3907821; said:
i do know pola from some other threads and other forums...i am sure they would have checked some gar ID stuff beforehand, so let's not be too harsh. large tropicals do actually look somewhat similar to medium sized gators at first glance (especially if you don't stare at gars all day), so that could be a tough ID in some ways. i made sure to double-check the big t-gar pics (no one has t-gars that big on this forum yet, but there are aquaculture/wild pics that show they do look somewhat similar at large sizes).
hybrids...i'm with you on that; they don't look like a type II, but type I looks somewhat similar.

all that being said, it is a nice looking gator; good luck with the fish--
--solomon
i agree with solomon. there is no need to be so rude . . . we're all here to learn and exchange information.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store