Ideas for fish to start with???

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I started my fowlr setups without fish during the cycle. Marineland Stability I think is what I used. Anywhoo for a 180 you can start off with a lionfish (whatever your preference) as their pretty hardy and peaceful, and add your stock from there. Iv kept triggers and puffers together with my volitan but you need to watch for fin nipping with that combo. Mine have been fine except my moray which had to be moved to a solo tank. Tangs, angels, butterflys or groupers can be added to just don't overstock.

You'll need to base your cleanup crew and such around your fish stock though or else you'll be buying new cleaners every weekend.

Sent from my GT-I5510M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Slippery K

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
ive had triggers with my 2 lions for the past year with no issues, one niger and one humu humu. I'd add a Niger trigger to your setup, nice peaceful fish with exellent blue/green/purple color, they are also very cheap 4" and under. Def. one of my fav. fish i have 2.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Hey all, I set up a 180g saltwater tank and I'm trying to get some ideas for fish to start with. Im definately going with a small Panther Grouper and a small Lionfish since the tank is still young and I was looking for another tough fish that will add some color. Any ideas?

Thanks
I think the 2 is the place to start - keep them alive for a few months than think about adding more. FYI Tangs are the WORST fish to start with.

Ptrick125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown Texas
Small panther groupers turn into big panther groupers quickly. They can also be very aggressive.
At the LFS I go to they had a panter grouper, and two months ago it was about 2" last week it was at least 3.5"

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ptrick125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown Texas
Im starting with 70lbs of live rock, 40lbs of base rock, a large wet/dry filter and a 175g power filter. Yes, it will be FOWLR.

I will be getting a Harlequin Tusk, they are my favorite as well but I was just nervous about starting with a fish that pricey.

So I'm thinking one of the following: a wrasse, puffer (stars and stripes perhaps?), angelfish or picasso trigger. Opinions?
Instead of a Picasso trigger I think a Niger triggerfish would be a better choice

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Meh...i agree panthers grow quick...i got a 3"er to 10" in 4-5 months. I do also have some 4-5"ers that grew from 2" in the same time period.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store