I'm Going to Rome (and Greece): Tips I Should Know from Anyone Who has Been?

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Hey y'all! I have some very exciting news. I'm finally going to my bucket list destination: Rome. I will be going on a school trip with teachers and friends in the summer, so I will have most things pointed out to me, but for anyone who has been, can you tell me if there is anything I should know before I go? I'm looking for info regarding mannerisms (like what is considered offensive and not offensive so as not to accidentally flip someone off when trying to tell them their food was good, LOL), culture, and anything else.

Thank you for any info!

(P.S. This also applies to Greece if anyone has traveled there and has a couple of things to share)

surfermike915

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2022
Talk to someone who’s been. I recommend learning basic phrases. I’m not saying learn the entire language(s) but be able to navigate the country. If you have free time, travel to the places that aren’t “bucket list” locations. You’ll find in rural Euro towns, sometimes the smaller towns off the beaten path are the ones you remember forever. Take advantage of the markets. Local farmers markets on weekends, offer a Chance to be immersed into culture. Be smart. Have fun. Watch out for your stereotypical pick pocketers. But at the same time, have an open mind. Enjoy mate

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I am moving to the Philippines permanently in just three weeks.
So what I'll add is that we Americans need to stop assuming the rest of the world is anywhere close to use as far as customs and the like. What would float here can get you in jail overseas. Most of the world uses bidets, not TP like we do, so might want to have your own.
Really do some research like YouTube etc of tourist that have been there and learned the local customs.

Ansorgii

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
South-West-Germany
Most European "bucket list cities", especially Rome, are so overrun with tourism there isn't much real culture left to experience. Their inner cities are devoid of their original inhabitants thanks to short term renting and the treatment of their homes as pure capital.

If you want to get to experience real italy (or any country) you have to go into the smaller rural towns. Italians appreciate it a lot if you learn their language. In the tourist traps everyone speaks english anyways and will often prefer that over your attempts at italian/might not even speak italian.

If someone crashes into you, check your pockets and watch out in general. Lots of pickpocketers are woman/girls and well dressed, dont get caught off guard. If you rent a car, don't make it a pinyata. Leave the compartment open to show there is nothing to steal in there.

In Greece its not as bad, the rural areas are great and there are lots of sites spread all over the place. The Theater of Epidaurus is really great, you can still experience the aucustic perfection, a great place if you have someone with you that can sing.

In terms of manners, I can only say stuff based on what I experienced with american tourists so far:

-wear appropiate clothing, a tangtop, tennispants and flippers are not what you wear in puplic, especially fine dining. We refer to those people as visual pollution. (And if you are on the heavier side, please don't show us your roles, noone wants to see that)

-dont treat everything as an experience you paid for

-dont assume everywhere is like the US or expect people to know your customs, you are in their realm. Lots of american tourists appear very arrogant due to that.

-put your sunglases down, serving a table with not a single eyecontact is very upsetting and it comes off as very disrespectful.

-dont tell everyone youre american all the time, noone asked/cares (I have no idea why so many do this, do they want special treatment ?)

-if you are not interested in sth., don't do it. A lot of archeological or botanical sites outside of tourist traps have guides that do this due to their passion, they have feelings and are not there to entertain you.

In general just try to be reflective and observe how others do it and people react to you, most will not be offended at someone who doesn't know but tries to learn.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Talk to someone who’s been. I recommend learning basic phrases. I’m not saying learn the entire language(s) but be able to navigate the country. If you have free time, travel to the places that aren’t “bucket list” locations. You’ll find in rural Euro towns, sometimes the smaller towns off the beaten path are the ones you remember forever. Take advantage of the markets. Local farmers markets on weekends, offer a Chance to be immersed into culture. Be smart. Have fun. Watch out for your stereotypical pick pocketers. But at the same time, have an open mind. Enjoy mate
So what I'll add is that we Americans need to stop assuming the rest of the world is anywhere close to use as far as customs and the like. What would float here can get you in jail overseas. Most of the world uses bidets, not TP like we do, so might want to have your own.
Really do some research like YouTube etc of tourist that have been there and learned the local customs.
Most European "bucket list cities", especially Rome, are so overrun with tourism there isn't much real culture left to experience. Their inner cities are devoid of their original inhabitants thanks to short term renting and the treatment of their homes as pure capital.

If you want to get to experience real italy (or any country) you have to go into the smaller rural towns. Italians appreciate it a lot if you learn their language. In the tourist traps everyone speaks english anyways and will often prefer that over your attempts at italian/might not even speak italian.

If someone crashes into you, check your pockets and watch out in general. Lots of pickpocketers are woman/girls and well dressed, dont get caught off guard. If you rent a car, don't make it a pinyata. Leave the compartment open to show there is nothing to steal in there.

In Greece its not as bad, the rural areas are great and there are lots of sites spread all over the place. The Theater of Epidaurus is really great, you can still experience the aucustic perfection, a great place if you have someone with you that can sing.

In terms of manners, I can only say stuff based on what I experienced with american tourists so far:

-wear appropiate clothing, a tangtop, tennispants and flippers are not what you wear in puplic, especially fine dining. We refer to those people as visual pollution. (And if you are on the heavier side, please don't show us your roles, noone wants to see that)

-dont treat everything as an experience you paid for

-dont assume everywhere is like the US or expect people to know your customs, you are in their realm. Lots of american tourists appear very arrogant due to that.

-put your sunglases down, serving a table with not a single eyecontact is very upsetting and it comes off as very disrespectful.

-dont tell everyone youre american all the time, noone asked/cares (I have no idea why so many do this, do they want special treatment ?)

-if you are not interested in sth., don't do it. A lot of archeological or botanical sites outside of tourist traps have guides that do this due to their passion, they have feelings and are not there to entertain you.

In general just try to be reflective and observe how others do it and people react to you, most will not be offended at someone who doesn't know but tries to learn.
Sounds like you will have a great holiday. Hope you enjoy it.
Thank you to all for the advice and encouragement!

Reactions: tlindsey

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I have a good friend from college who is in America from Rome (she got stuck here from Covid and has been in America for a while), and I've asked her to teach me Italian (she is fluent in Italian).

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
What are bidets and TP? Is that money or smth?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store