I'm Going to Rome (and Greece): Tips I Should Know from Anyone Who has Been?

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Rome is an amazing place. Just chaotic. I'd recommend getting Rick Steve's book on the topic: https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/italy/rome If you have a chance to also visit Florence (and whatever smaller places you can - trains and buses can bring you just about anywhere).

Greece is a big and diverse place. Athens is a big, chaotic and unpleasant big city, in my experience. There are many, many islands to explore - each different (Corfu, Mykanos, Crete, etc, etc.) and a totally different vibe than Athens. Would also recommend a Rick Steve's guide book.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
If you are on a school trip i imagine they will be taking you around all the historic sites and you wont get much free time?
It will still be great. Rome is lots of fun but as mentioned can be chaotic. As the U.S.A, like australia is a fairly young country its pretty mind blowing to realise the history and the age of everything, you could find yourself eating in a building or walking past a statue thats hundreds of years older than any in your home country.
The food is great but different to what you probably consider to be "italian food" pizzas dont have heaps of topping and are all very thin which shocked me a bit but the good thing is you can munch down a whole one and not feel bloated and sick after. I also recommend trying the authentic carbonara pasta, so simple but so good. They love steak with mushroom sauce too.
Most people are very chilled and as long as you are polite and remember you are on someone elses turf you wont have any issues. Overall i found the locals to be friendly and helpful if you are respectful, The only thing to keep an eye out for is pickpockets and bag snatchers. One scam is to flick some shaving cream on you when you arent looking then say a bird just **** on you, they then "help" you wipe it off and lift your wallet at the same time. Remeber Rome has been a holiday destination for hundreds of years so they have had lots of time to come up with scams to get your cash. Its not really violent and i doubt you would be mugged but keep your wits about you. Without being rude i would think a bunch of naive american high school students would be a tempting target.
Also no buses, trains or anything ever run on time. They are always late.
Dont stress, stay relaxed and friendly but keep your eyes open and you will have a great time. You will ahve fun, learn a few things and have some nice memories at the end of it all.

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
Funny enough I am off to Rome on the 21st Feb not been before although I have been to Italy a couple of times. I'm from the UK so closer to me but Rome is the city I have most wanted to visit.

Funny reading comments from those in the US as I cannot imagine its any busier and chaotic than NYC and other big US cities.

The Italians are quite a feisty bunch I would advise any americans who go to tone it down a bit as you may get pushback from the Italians. I don't know why but those from the US tend to stand out a mile for being so loud and arrogant when abroad compared to when in the US

I'll try to think on to update when I return

I have a greek half brother whos from Crete and he hates Athens but says the greek islands are fantastic. I went to Rhodes about 20 years ago and recall enjoying it

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
one thing I forgot to mention is Italians dress very well when going out for diner or an evening stroll.
the guys wear blazers and trousers with leather shoes just to grab a bite to eat. You don’t need to go so far but as was mentioned in an earlier post you should make a bit of an effort or you look and feel like a slob.
I just tried to have decent jeans or chinos and a long sleeve shirt, here in australia it doesn’t matter if you wear shorts and tshirt to a basic restaurant in summer but over there I wore it on my first night and felt like a bum.
I wasn’t treated badly by the waiters or anything, I doubt they really care as they wouldn’t see me again but You won’t feel slick if you are the worst dressed dude in the place.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
one thing I forgot to mention is Italians dress very well when going out for diner or an evening stroll.
the guys wear blazers and trousers with leather shoes just to grab a bite to eat. You don’t need to go so far but as was mentioned in an earlier post you should make a bit of an effort or you look and feel like a slob.
I just tried to have decent jeans or chinos and a long sleeve shirt, here in australia it doesn’t matter if you wear shorts and tshirt to a basic restaurant in summer but over there I wore it on my first night and felt like a bum.
I wasn’t treated badly by the waiters or anything, I doubt they really care as they wouldn’t see me again but You won’t feel slick if you are the worst dressed dude in the place.
Yes, I've heard of the Italian dress codes, lol. I was doing research on that yesterday.

Reactions: tlindsey

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
If you are on a school trip i imagine they will be taking you around all the historic sites and you wont get much free time?
It will still be great. Rome is lots of fun but as mentioned can be chaotic. As the U.S.A, like australia is a fairly young country its pretty mind blowing to realise the history and the age of everything, you could find yourself eating in a building or walking past a statue thats hundreds of years older than any in your home country.
The food is great but different to what you probably consider to be "italian food" pizzas dont have heaps of topping and are all very thin which shocked me a bit but the good thing is you can munch down a whole one and not feel bloated and sick after. I also recommend trying the authentic carbonara pasta, so simple but so good. They love steak with mushroom sauce too.
Most people are very chilled and as long as you are polite and remember you are on someone elses turf you wont have any issues. Overall i found the locals to be friendly and helpful if you are respectful, The only thing to keep an eye out for is pickpockets and bag snatchers. One scam is to flick some shaving cream on you when you arent looking then say a bird just **** on you, they then "help" you wipe it off and lift your wallet at the same time. Remeber Rome has been a holiday destination for hundreds of years so they have had lots of time to come up with scams to get your cash. Its not really violent and i doubt you would be mugged but keep your wits about you. Without being rude i would think a bunch of naive american high school students would be a tempting target.
Dont stress, stay relaxed and friendly but keep your eyes open and you will have a great time. You will ahve fun, learn a few things and have some nice memories at the end of it all.
We will have a little bit of time to explore, but I think in that free time, we will be shopping or sitting down and chatting. That bird trick is quite genius.... It sounds like something one of my friends with siblings would do to their siblings. :hitting:

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Rome is an amazing place. Just chaotic. I'd recommend getting Rick Steve's book on the topic: https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/italy/rome If you have a chance to also visit Florence (and whatever smaller places you can - trains and buses can bring you just about anywhere).

Greece is a big and diverse place. Athens is a big, chaotic and unpleasant big city, in my experience. There are many, many islands to explore - each different (Corfu, Mykanos, Crete, etc, etc.) and a totally different vibe than Athens. Would also recommend a Rick Steve's guide book.
Thank you for the book recommendation! When I looked at the website, I think I recognized the guy, does he have his own TV show or something?

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Other than keeping an eye out, what would be the best way to prevent pickpockets from pickpocketing my belongings? I keep my stuff in my front pocket so I think that might help.

Ansorgii

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 31, 2016
South-West-Germany
Don't be an easy target. Frontpockets are usually fine but can be picked from if they are loose enough. Tight pockets or those with harder to open buttons are never wrong.

The worst are purses (especially the open you wear on your shoulder) and jacket pockets. Backpockets are just awful to have stuff in in general, a phone that sticks out is gone.

Also if you want to embarass one of your teachers, throw a hat full of change infront of him and start clapping as a group, a classic around here.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Don't be an easy target. Frontpockets are usually fine but can be picked from if they are loose enough. Tight pockets or those with harder to open buttons are never wrong.

The worst are purses (especially the open you wear on your shoulder) and jacket pockets. Backpockets are just awful to have stuff in in general, a phone that sticks out is gone.

Also if you want to embarass one of your teachers, throw a hat full of change infront of him and start clapping as a group, a classic around here.
LOL I may try it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store