I'm Going to Rome (and Greece): Tips I Should Know from Anyone Who has Been?

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Perception of chaos is relative to culture. I think that being used to how people queue, drive and otherwise interact in the US is familiar to me (as someone who lives here) vs. in Italy, where it's different. I remember waiting in line at a post office in Italy on a trip a few years back and feeling my anxiety rise as it was (dis-)organized in ways that were quite, uh, different.

The islands of Greece are a whole different vibe than Athens. I couldn't wait to get out of there (Athens) after seeing the sites.

Funny enough I am off to Rome on the 21st Feb not been before although I have been to Italy a couple of times. I'm from the UK so closer to me but Rome is the city I have most wanted to visit.

Funny reading comments from those in the US as I cannot imagine its any busier and chaotic than NYC and other big US cities.

The Italians are quite a feisty bunch I would advise any americans who go to tone it down a bit as you may get pushback from the Italians. I don't know why but those from the US tend to stand out a mile for being so loud and arrogant when abroad compared to when in the US

I'll try to think on to update when I return

I have a greek half brother whos from Crete and he hates Athens but says the greek islands are fantastic. I went to Rhodes about 20 years ago and recall enjoying it

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Here is the itinerary for our trip from the website, by how this is set up, we'll have a lot of free time;

Day 1 – Depart USA => Athens

Day 2 – Arrive Athens

Walking Tour of several important Athens sites with guide. Lunch on your own. Afternoon walking tour with guide to get the flavor of the city. Afterwards, Check into our hotel. Welcome dinner. Early to bed. Refresh, recover, prepare for cruise departure in the AM.

Day 3 – Athens=> Delphi=> Thermopylae

Today we drive north to Delphi, one of the most sacred and important sites of Ancient Greece. Located at the base of Mount Parnassus. We will visit the archeological sites including the Sanctuary of Apollo, the Temple to Athena, and the Tholos of Delphi. After our tour we will travel over the pass beside Mount Parnassus to reach Thermopylae, located on a gulf of the Aegean.

Day 4 – Thermopoylae => Marathon => Athens

We start today with a visit to the pass of Thermopulae, site of the Battle of the 300 Spartans vs. the Persian army in 480 BC. After a brief visit, we continue our drive on the spectacular coastal rode with views of the Island of Euboea. We continue on to the site of the Battle of Marathon, where Miltiades of Athens defeated the first Persian invasion in 490 BC. Then back to Athens for our last night in Greece.

Day 5 – Begin Cruise to Mykonos

We sail this morning from Athens across the Aegean to the quaint isle of Mykonos, called the island of windmills. Shore excursion to experience the waterfront lined with shops and cafes and then stroll the charming walkways through a maze of whitewashed buildings before returning to the ship for dinner and evening entertainment on board.

Day 6 – Cruise to Ephesus and Patmos

Docking early in the morning in Turkey, enjoy a tour of Ephesus, the city of the Bible and one of the largest restorations still in progress with miles of ancient treasures. Ephesus was once a thriving port town of 250,000 people. Today you can still see the spectacular excavations of the major streets in this ancient city including the Agora, the Odeon, the Library, the marble-paved main Street, the Baths, Trajan’s Fountain, the Residences of the Patricians, the Prytaneum, and Temple of Hadrian. The Great Theatre, built in the 4th century B.C., could accommodate 24,000 spectators and it is famous even nowadays for its acoustics. In the afternoon we sail to the Isle of Patmos, under statutory protection as a historic monument. Here we have a tour to see the fortified monastery of St. John and the cave claimed to be where John received the Revelation. Back on the ship, enjoy the Captain's dinner before settling in to your cabin for the night. While we sleep, the ship will sail south to Crete.

Day 7 – Cruise to Crete and Santorini

Crete is the largest and the most rugged of the Greek islands. We will take a tour to Heraklion and the fantastic ruins of the Palace of Knossos. Discovered in 1899 and partially reconstructed, the elaborate Palace is believed to be the mythical Labyrinth of King Minos and the seat of ancient Minoan culture. In the late afternoon we will visit the island of Santorini which is perhaps the most breathtaking of all the Greek Islands. We will take a panoramic bus tour viewing some of the most spectacular scenery of the Aegean. Travel through countless villages and settlements with delicate architecture and beauties eventually arriving in Oia. During your time in Oia, visit the many narrow streets, open-air cafes and glittering boutiques. Upon returning to the ship, we view the lace-like caldera, the little islands of Thirasia, Palea, & Nea Kameni. Return to the ship for dinner and evening entertainment. While we sleep, the ship we be sailing home to Athens.

Day 8 – Disembark Cruise at the port of Athens
Athens=> Ancient Corinth & Cenchreae = Athens

We disembark the cruise this morning and travel west with a rest stop and photos at the Corinth Canal. Next, we visit ancient Corinth, the city that inspired two of Paul's most familiar letters. Visit the Archaeological Museum, the Market Place, the Bema, and the Temples. We will plan a short devotional time in the midst of the ruins of the church of Corinth and see the pillars, steps, and public worship place where Paul preached. The ruins of this important ancient Greek city are fascinating as we walk along the stone paths that the Apostle Paul walked. The engineering skill and intellect of these people are evident in the water systems that still flow. We travel on to the top of the nearby Acropolis where our guide will speak on the worship practices and point out the bird’s eye view of what was a bustling city of around 800,000 during Paul’s stay. Another important stop is a visit to Diolkos where we view the paved trackway which enabled boats to be moved overland across the Isthmus of Corinth and made Corinth a center for trade & commerce. This shortcut allowed ancient vessels to avoid the long and dangerous circumnavigation of the Peloponnese peninsula. Before returning to Athens, we will visit Cenchreae, the ancient port region of Corinth. Acts 18:18 states the Apostle Paul stopped at Cenchreae during his second missionary journey, where he had his hair cut to fulfill a vow.

Day 9 – Athens

Following breakfast this morning we tour Athens, the foundation of democracy. We visit the Acropolis, the Parthenon, and Erectheum before viewing Athens atop Mars Hill where Paul stood and preached the truth to the Gentile nation. From atop Mars Hill we view the Agora below, the ancient marketplace and center of Athenian public life. Additional sites viewed during our panoramic bus tour are, the House of Parliament, the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Olympic Stadium, and Presidential Palace. An option later this afternoon is a visit to the famous Plaka with a multitude of shops and cafes.

Day 10 – Athens => Rome

We fly from Athens to the Rome airport, and transfer to our lodging for the next three nights. This afternoon we will take a tour of the Catacombs where thousands of Christians were buried in a remarkable tiered series of galleries.

Day 11 – Vatican Museums, St. Peter's, Scala Santa, Abbey of Three Fountains, St. Paul Outside the Wall

After breakfast you will begin a full day of sightseeing. First visit Vatican City where you will see the Basilica at St. Peter, the Sistine Chapel and the Vatican Museums with stunning works of art at every turn. After some free time for lunch, you will stop at The Abbey of the Three Fountains, the traditional site of Paul's martyrdom and the ancient street that he walked on. Next, visit the 4th century Basilica of St. Paul Outside the Walls, the site of Paul’s tomb, and the Scala Santa, climbed by Martin Luther during his visit to Rome in 1510. The Santa Scala (Sacred Steps) are from Pilate's Judgment Hall in Jerusalem. They were brought to Rome by Helena, the mother of Constantine in 326. Additional sights include the Arches of Constantine and Titus, Circus Maximus and the beautiful marble monument called the Wedding Cake.

Day 12 – Forum, Mamertine, Coliseum, Ostia Antica

We begin our walking tour at the ancient Roman Forum, where our guide will explain its history. We will visit the Arch of Titus which commemorated the sack of Jerusalem by Titus in AD 70. We will view the Mamertine Prison exterior, where tradition says the Apostle Paul was imprisoned. Next, we visit the Coliseum, where thousands of people and animals perished during gladiatorial games. The Coliseum first opened in AD 80 and within 100 days of its opening, 5000 wild beasts perished here. The slaughter of both humans and animals continued for three more centuries. Historians believe the Coliseum could hold between 40,000 and 80,000 people depending on how close the seating was. The floor has recently had a plank placed over the middle making it accessible for people to walk over the labyrinth of brick cells, ramps, and elevators used to transport animals and gladiators into the arena. We conclude our day at the ruins of Ostia Antica, which provides an excellent example of city life in classical times and the Ostian Gate, today called the Gate of St. Paul.

Day 13 – Depart Rome =>Home

Reactions: Caperguy99

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Following this thread as my wife, son, and I are going on a school trip in April 2025 to Rome and Athens (maybe the same tour company).

johnny potatoes

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2010
Dewey
You know what they say "when in Rome....."
And when in Greece, never and I mean never go anywhere without one of those "gyro" sandwiches in your hand.
And don't forget the Tzatziki.

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
Just got back from 5 days in Rome yesterday. I've been to quite a few places in my time and I have to say Rome is the most fantastic place I have ever been. Beautiful city and my wife and I had a lovely stay.

I understand it gets busier in summer and although we had nice weather it wasnt overly busy.

We managed to visit the Colloseum which was very good, the Pantheon which was fascinating, Spanish steps worth ticking off if you go, Trevi Fountain which is gorgeous and the Vatican Museum and St Peters Basilica both of which are awe inspiring and you have to go to understand. The most opulent m rammed full of history, art, amazing ceilings etc just an amazing place

The city is easy to walk around and with google maps everything easy to find and in quite small location. Every corner you turn almost there is a fountain, sculptures , massive archways just an amazing location.

I've seen mention of smart dress codes and couldnt disagree more. We ate in expensive places, general italian restaurants etc and people just wore smart casual. I wore jeans, trainers, polo t shirt and was probably smarter than some. Its just a city like any other city so I wouldnt bother with dinner jackets and all that nonsense unless you felt the need to.

It was far cheaper than I expected, certainly not as pricy as New York, London, Paris Dublin etc

Food wise , well its Italy so its mostly Italian style restaurants, lots of pizza, pastas, fish and meats too

I felt safe whilst wandering around day or night whilst being careful to keep my wallet safe and watch hidden but generally it seemed fine certainly safer feeling than may cities I have been too.

You will love it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store