I'm making an elasmobranch pond!

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Yeah - I tend to agree - it may be better to start off with smaller & more suitable species - than the Leopard shark.

For example in Californian Waters - you can easily find the following species

- Gray Smoothhound
- Californian Horn Shark
- Swell Shark

All of which grow to about 3-4' in length and have no set size restrictions - like the Leopard has. Also all can likely be found thru your larger LFS, or varies Shark Dealers in California.

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
Wow - opps hadn't realized - it was that number.

I'll fix it .

Still while a couple of Leopards sharks may sound awesome for a 15 year to attempt to keep. You've got to realize that Leopards are a species that is best kept only by very knowledgeable & experienced shark aquarists.

serafino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
My budget for this project is whatever it takes. I don't have a whole lot though. I plan to make this possible over many years nothing immediate. I don't plan on purchasing any sharks until after I have gone to college and majored in marine biology. I just want to get started now as to make this possible. So don't think I'm trying to do this now now now. I just want to get all the problems out of the way well before hand. Also hopefully after I graduate and attend graduate school I can work for an aquarium somewhere and do research on Great Whites and their mating habits since we know very little about this misunderstood animal.

drewmprs

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
California
definitely go with the leopard sharks, they are far more active than horns or smoothhounds. leos are awesome sharks.

krj-1168

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2006
Eastern NC
drewmprs;1575939; said:
definitely go with the leopard sharks, they are far more active than horns or smoothhounds. leos are awesome sharks.
I'll agree that Leos are more active than Horns. But disagree that Leos are more active than Smoothhounds. After all - the Leopard shark is a type of Smooth hound.

serafino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Maybe I won't need leops by that time hopefully someone else will have them for me. i do like the idea of Horns though didn't really think of them too much. Has anyone ever kept them here before?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store