Imperial Line Festae

Status
Not open for further replies.

oriqua

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2010
Firey PHOENIX
That's exactly the wrong way to look at things.

Wild fish aren't necessarily "better" than F1 (or F2 or Fwhatever).

Among individuals in a wild population of fish, there is often great variability. Some hold the aesthetic and behavioral characteristics that aquarists want. Others don't. There are wild fish with "poor" color and captive fish with exceptional.

That's why folks line breed fish (which takes several generations...not just breeding two fish with desirable characteristics) to try to enhance and accentuate desired characteristics (many of which don't occur in the wild).

And the obsession by some with the whole "unrelated bloodline" concept is equally misguided.

Sibling fish can and do breed for generations in the wild and in captivity without issue. And unrelated fish...if they have (especially recessive) genetic issues can combine to result in fish with issues. Combining fish with -allegedly - different parents doesn't mean that the resulting fish will be "better" (i.e. have more of the characteristics that make them desirable to aquarists) or "stronger".

If you're trying to line breed fish with desired characteristics, introducing fish with unknown lineage can often be counterproductive (e.g. Who knows if a fish that's bright red and tall has recessive genes for missing a tail and beak face? Unless, of course, you breed it for several generations).

And we wonder why experienced folks don't post on MFK much...

Well leave your expertise put of it. Again many people approach two subjects completely different. It's simple, wild caught Fish don't usually always have the best traits compared to aquarium raised Fish but anyone knows diversifying your Gene pool can help in the long run. Any doubting Thomas look at the ultimate blue project! Game changer and also other umbees have been the some of the best I've seen.

oriqua

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2010
Firey PHOENIX
To the many haters and critics like
Dog of War.

He states bringing in wild blood F0 doesn't help
With the development of a breeding project. I don't see where you are accurate at this statement. So this is because he is either because he chooses to deny the fact that it's done or just plain ignorant. I use examples to illustrate my point. Nola Gt pair from Dan woodland was brought in and spawned many times. F0 blood was passed on and used with other projects with success. The Ultimate blue project was created by Umbee King and Bless one, world below, and many Umbee that are spectacular were created! Game changer, Columbo, Excalibur, to name a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store