In New Jersey, about to lose my entire tank......trying everything I can!

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
A fish friend of mine keeps his African and CA cichlids in outdoor plastic pools during warm months. He lives near Philladelphia and he said that in spring and fall time, the temperature occasionally will drop to 55F at night, but his cichlids are thriving and breeding in outdoor pools with no suplemental heating. He is more concern with heat waves because when the water temperature gets too high, it can be depleted of oxygen and he has to add well water to the pools to cool down.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I agree on aeration. Do some wc's, if possible, and moove that water with a paddle if need be.
You and your fish will go through this.

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
Just did a large wc and added some semi-hot water, slowly. Also, covered the tank with a blanket. Wish me luck and them. Sick to my stomach over this. One of the fish was my very first fish from many years ago. Damn..I will absolutely grab a generator after this is over. Have to focus on my family on a barrier island who lost everything...everything. Back in the firehouse tomorrow and so busy. I am tired and pretty bummed out.

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
Can you add the value of fish to an insurance claim? If I wind up losing them?

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
Aeration is key. A battery air pump or two are PLENTY, even for a lot of fish.

Best thing to do is cover the tank with blankets for insulation. The temperature will decrease slowly.

Lower temps + sleeping fish (in the dark) = less bio activity = the fish will survive.

Constant dorking around with the tank only causes problems and stress for you.

Matt

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I don't think covering the tank with blanket will make a difference as there is no heat source inside the tank. Fish are cold blooded animal and don't generate heat so there is no heat to lose. The tank water will be in equivalent with whichever room termperature is so focus on keepting the room temperature up.

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
I added warm water and got the temp back to around 76-78' and then covered it. We'll see. Plus, I do have 3 battery air pumps running.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I added warm water and got the temp back to around 76-78' and then covered it. We'll see. Plus, I do have 3 battery air pumps running.

I commend you for your awesome efforts and I sincerely hopes everything works out. Keep us posted!

The wc are key but fluctuating temps aren't going to help, any way you can start an easy and slow drip, siphon in a drain or outside, have incoming hot water in the tank via hose, just dose dechlor every couple hours, make it run somewhat slow, you can pinch the siphon line with a clamp or whatever to slow it down and match the incoming hot water. Obviously you would have to keep an eye on it but as long as the level stays the same it will work.

*Go S. Vettel #1 rb8--3 MORE RACES LEFT! LET'S MAKE IT 5 BACK TO BACK WINS & 3 WDC!* :beer:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store