In New Jersey, about to lose my entire tank......trying everything I can!

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
I commend you for your awesome efforts and I sincerely hopes everything works out. Keep us posted!

The wc are key but fluctuating temps aren't going to help, any way you can start an easy and slow drip, siphon in a drain or outside, have incoming hot water in the tank via hose, just dose dechlor every couple hours, make it run somewhat slow, you can pinch the siphon line with a clamp or whatever to slow it down and match the incoming hot water. Obviously you would have to keep an eye on it but as long as the level stays the same it will work.

*Go S. Vettel #1 rb8--3 MORE RACES LEFT! LET'S MAKE IT 5 BACK TO BACK WINS & 3 WDC!* :beer:
Wish I could. Cant stay home, no heat. Wife aint havin' it. Have to wake up b4 firehouse and do another wc, slowly as to not shock the guys.

tomomothy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
If worse comes to worse mix water manually as was stated before and you can scoop water out of the tank and pour it back in. This will agitate the surface and pull air down into the water (not a lot but its better than nothing if the pumps die).

Also, styrafoam is a great insulator. Wont generate heat but if the water is warmer than the air in the room it can help slow the heat from leaving the tank.

Best of luck to you

Sharfin

Feeder Fish
Oct 30, 2012
Ohio
Good luck to you & your fish, we lost power this past spring for 24 hours and my fish survived it but didnt have to worry about the temp as it was warm enough. I am always afraid of power failures.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
there is nothing you can really do in these situations except try your best. if the electricity is off for 5 weeks (holy **** thats a long time for a "developed" country) then you most likely won't be able to keep all the fish alive. Just try your best and see what happens I guess. Good luck though If it was me I would have just accepted the fishes fate and tried my hardest.

jrance4585

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2011
nj
I am in Financial district in Manhattan, lost power about a day and a half ago. Have a 75 gallon w/ a arro, ID shark and pbass. Temp is fine, but worried about aeration. How long can they last without an air pump running??

Did a small water change last night, just so I could dump some new water in and stir it up a bit. I can always bust out the bicycle pump...

Fishfood?

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
Virginia
Keep it going man, hang in.... I have faith it will be ok..

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
HOLY $%^%$#.....they all lived. CAme home from my firehouse in Atlantic City tired and really bummed about what I was about to come home to. What in the he77? They were all alive and the electricity just came on about an hour or two b4 I came hom3. Huge water change and a little blood worms they are happy as could be. Gettin a generator this week thats for sure. Alot of my friends lost everything, I mean EVERYTHING!!!!!!! So, if all I lost was my fish I suppose I have alot to be grateful for. The President and governor just left and gave us all abit of hope. WOW, pretty damn grateful!!!!! Thanks for all your replies.

Arowana718

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
nyc
Lesson learn from all of us. I'm gona order sponge filter along with battery airpumps now in case this ever comes about again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store