In your fish keeping experience how often has a "impulse fish buy" worked out?

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
The only fish id really call impulse buys are the dithers/target fish, and those usually just get killed by bloody face (red wolf fish) at some point. I really need to seperate my red wolf and give him his own tank lol. So far hes killed 3 different geos, a needlefish, and an orino pbass. Those are also only bought for that reason, to distract BF from his actual tank mates (bichirs, rope, datnoid, larger pbass

Oh and my ropefish, thats worked out just fine though. Couldnt pass up a 12 inch ropefish for 10$ lol.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
I'm a recovering impulse buyer. Last year(80%) I went crazy with plecos, just wanted all of them. Lfs favorite client. When your making spread sheets and labeling your tanks, it means you need to relax. Now I'm slowly weeding them out. It's been tough. There are so many interesting species out there, i just want to observe them all. Fortunately I do all my observing on YouTube or my Monster Fish app now, instead of my home. 👍

Ok. I admit it. I just bought another Betta for no logical reason. Damn.

I guess for me it didn't work out well. Because i didn't lose any fish, but they aren't growing to potential either.
Now rehoming most to focus on a smaller permeant group. Although my ranchu were impulse and had them a few years now.
Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Seahorse8383

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2014
Norfolk, Va
You know you have a problem when your spouse asks were you are and you lie instead of telling them you are at petsmart.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
I have bought lots of things on impulse, but never something I didnt know anything about. Always something that I have access the resources and knowledge to care for prior to buying it.

I feel that once you buy an animal, you are responsible for it, and re-homing an animal that I dont have the means to care for is not something I want to deal with.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Mother of all yard sale finds. Eight large fish in a 55 gallon tank.... only $85. We had to get online to figure out which were the pacu and which were the Oscars. One Oscar was already dying of HITH.
fish.jpg

8 1/2 years later, only the pacu have survived. Because of the horrific conditions they had been rasied in, the Oscars and pleco had shortened lives. An impulsive yard sale purchase is not the way to start a 30+ year commitment.

fish.jpg

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
I'd say 20% work out.
My local club has an auction at the monthly meetings so lots of impulse buys for me :D

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Impulse buys = too many times the first few decades. Hardly any impulse buys the last couple of decades. It took about the same amount of time to learn to resist impulse buys as it did to stop getting married again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store