is there anyone on MFK in Med school or planning to apply to med school?

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
Here's what you do

1. go to college
2. if you really are interested in medicine, choose a science-related major. It doesn't matter what you major in. It can be biochem or theater, but having a science major means you'll be taking science classes, which prepares you over four years for the mcats and med school style. be warned, science classes tend to be the hardest, since they try to weed out people who aren't too serious
3. Get by with at least a 3.5 GPA
4. do well on mcats
5. find ways to shadow a doctor, research, volunteer at hospitals. Start as early as possible. It's better to do 4 hours a week over a year than 25 hours a week for a month
6. be friends with your professors. they won't try to get to know you, especially in auditorium classes with 200+ students. Do as well as possible in your classes, and as soon as you feel comfortable with your professor, ask if he'd be willing to write a letter of recommendation.

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
7. apply as early as possible to schools of your choice. As soon as the amcas comes out (usually beginning of june or july) be ready to send it out

that's it. It's not as bad as it seems. Just need to be on top of things

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
^ good info... thanks.

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
another University of Toronto grad here, I did an Honours BSc. in Biology.

I had entered university with the intent to go into medicine or denistry, but did not get good enough marks to get in. taking bio, chem, phys, calculus and geography first year was quite a change from easy highschool LOL

just a warning as mentioned: science programs at a top level school are demanding.

I was not 'weeded out' but know several friends that were.

study and study hard.

after graduating, I ended up going a different route in to the environmental feild and I love my job.

but back then, I wanted to be a doctor, until I realized although I was good enough to graduate at a pretty tough school in a hard program, I was not med school material :)

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
12 Volt Man;3515566; said:
another University of Toronto grad here, I did an Honours BSc. in Biology.

I had entered university with the intent to go into medicine or denistry, but did not get good enough marks to get in. taking bio, chem, phys, calculus and geography first year was quite a change from easy highschool LOL

just a warning as mentioned: science programs at a top level school are demanding.

I was not 'weeded out' but know several friends that were.

study and study hard.

after graduating, I ended up going a different route in to the environmental feild and I love my job.

but back then, I wanted to be a doctor, until I realized although I was good enough to graduate at a pretty tough school in a hard program, I was not med school material :)
what do you do now?
im still trying to find more info, this saturday i have a tour at UNLV and they have this
future doctor program and i want to see what its about, then ima tlk to one of the advisors about classes.

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
and is it true that your SAT scores need to be high to get into Toronto? i took my sat my junior year and scored an 1190...

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
here's an uplifting tip...being a doctor is much more about dedication than intelligence. If you put in the time to study, you will get good grades. With few exceptions, there is no one not cut out to handle the rigors of becoming a doctor.

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
iloveoscars702;3515878; said:
what do you do now?
im still trying to find more info, this saturday i have a tour at UNLV and they have this
future doctor program and i want to see what its about, then ima tlk to one of the advisors about classes.

I am a wastewater treatment plant operator working for municipal government. I did a 1 year post grad program following university in environmental engineering.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store