Just about had it with datnoids!!

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Yeah I'm now deciding to wait it out, because I don't know when I'd be able to get NTTS again so I'm just hanging on to them. Still frustrated Lol but I'll try and be patient.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tbold

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
United States
Yeah I'm now deciding to wait it out, because I don't know when I'd be able to get NTTS again so I'm just hanging on to them. Still frustrated Lol but I'll try and be patient.

My big Indo has been 100% stable since I've had him, even when he wasn't doing so well with the heat wave.

My NTT is stable about 80% of the time but will go unstable the moment I do any work on the tank. Even in my aggressive tank he's not shy though. I've heard they prefer tanks with a lot of decor and other fish to feel comfortable. Guy I bought them from had them in bare bottom with no decor and only other dats. He was selling them cheap because they all huddled together in the corner lol. Try adding other big fish and maybe add sand and a few fake plants?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA

Patience is the key with Dats. For your tank to look lively add some barbs. If ur ntt's are that shy it might take a long time before they start to get settled. Sometimes you just get lucky with outgoing blokes. Nonetheless, once settled they are an absolute treat to watch.
Hope you keep at it and reap the rewards ;)

Good luck

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
What kind of barbs? Tinfoil?

sunnysjourney

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2014
US
In my experience, dats are shy at first but then they warm up. I've found Indos to be the most inquisitive of the bunch tho'. Also, adding other fast moving fish like silver dollars, monos and tin foils will help a lot!

Jhawk974

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
Utah
Mine was out all the time till i took all the black skirts out now they hide more.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Black skirt tetras are my favorite for getting preds to be less shy. Try a small school of them and see if it helps the dats come out of hiding.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I picked up a little IT from jojo last week. He's been extremely active all day, cruising the glass and searching around some plants. Every night he picks off one of the neon tetras. He's happy as can be but I only have one neon left...

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Over rated fish and a waste of money as far as I am concerned. Growing them out doesn't help,been there done that and they still don't all eat pellets,stable one minute and unstable the next,hide most of the time and kill other fish when they feel like it. Whooo a fish I really would like to own! Not!

NixMix

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2010
South Carolina
My big Indo has been 100% stable since I've had him, even when he wasn't doing so well with the heat wave.

My NTT is stable about 80% of the time but will go unstable the moment I do any work on the tank. Even in my aggressive tank he's not shy though. I've heard they prefer tanks with a lot of decor and other fish to feel comfortable. Guy I bought them from had them in bare bottom with no decor and only other dats. He was selling them cheap because they all huddled together in the corner lol. Try adding other big fish and maybe add sand and a few fake plants?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
+1 on this.

My indo is in a tank with several fish. Full decor (gravel, rocks, plants) and he is out all the time and stable. He begs for food and attention and even lets me pet him once in a while. Mine is eating only massivore pellets. Sometimes up to 10 pieces per feeding.

I think if you decorate your tank a bit you will get more interaction and less hiding. Mine plays in the powerhead current, too. You may want to consider that also.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store