Keeping and Swimming With Sharks?

lujor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Here&There
Impressive. I don't know much about saltwater, so my advice is worth less than nothing. As far as any sharks that are "harmelss" tho, I'm sure there are some less dabgerous than others, but my buddy worked at a LFS for a while and got part of his palm bitten off by a "harmless" shark while trying to feed it. Any shark with size enough for what you probably want (with classic shark shape) isn't going to be a total wuss. Just be careful and post pics.

lujor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Here&There
You should tie some steaks to Scuba Steve and see if they attack.

snyder810

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Ohio
iHammer;4374470; said:
Well if I wanted to build a tank that big it would go well into the ten thousands, its an indoor pool, 10 meters by 10 meters and 4 meters deep at all parts (already cycled to remove chlorine and renovated to work as a pond) I am going to add live sand at about 30 centimeters deep at all points and turn almost all of it into a reef tank with certain corners that are just sand. The parts that will have reef corals will be on a hill that is made of sand so it will stick higher, there will be lots of live rock and the sand is aquarium sand (not just any random ones).

I am trying to create an ecosystem situation where I will only feed the shark.

1. I just want to know are all the fish in this list able to out swim sharks or be too big to be eaten by them? If not, tell me which ones please.

2. And also can all the fish in the list survive in an ecosystem situation with only the fish/plants of that list? If not, what fish needs what to survive?

3. And another question, can I just empty all the plankton into the main tank and let them breed there or do I have to keep adding new plankton that have been bred outside of the tank (same question for Brine Shrimp)?

4. If Whitetip Reef Shark are harmful what other Shark can you keep (which looks like the common shark) that is completely harmless to humans?

[WRASSE]

x4 Humphead Wrasse
Size:

x20 Rockmover Wrasse
Size: 30cm

[PLANKTON]

Phytoplankton
Size: Micro

Zooplankton
Size: Micro

[TANG]

x20 Convict Tang
Size: 20cm

x16 Blue Tang
Size: 30cm

x20 Naso Tang
Size: 39cm

x20 Red Sea Sailfin Tang
Size: 39cm

x20 Purple Tang
Size: 25cm

x20 Yellow Tang
Size: 20cm

x16 Unicorn Tang
Size: 60-64cm

[SPONGE]

x50 Tube Sponge/Vase Sponge/Yellow Sponge/Red-Tree Sponge/Painted Tunicate
Size:

[ANGEL FISH]

10x Emperor Angelfish
Size: 38cm

10x Queen Angelfish
Size: 45cm

[GROUPER]

Panther Grouper
Size: 50-70cm

[SHRIMP/SNAIL/CLEANER CREW]

x600 Glass Shrimp
Size:

x600 Brine Shrimp
Size:

x10 Cleaner Shrimp
Size:

[OTHERS]

x20 Longfin Bannerfish

x8 Clownfish (Ocellaris) (+ANEMONE)
Size: 10cm

x50 Mandarin Fish
Size: 6-8cm

x8 Picasso Triggerfish

x4 Harlequin Tuskfish

x10 Giant Puffer Fish Arothron Stellatus (I am pretty sure these guys poison can kill you but just wanted to make sure)
Size: 120cm

Potato Cod
Size: 150-200cm
well i think i see a few fundamental flaws in your stock. one being that in the long run eventually i think those occelaris clowns and mandarins will probably get caught and eaten by some much larger preds and thus i would avoid adding them.

also while i don't know much about sponges i'm pretty sure they are a favorite food of angels and thus may be depleted quite quickly as well

i see the shrimp (brine/glass) in your cleanup crew being ate up very quickly so i wouldn't really waste the time with them unless you intend on supplying them as food for the others. i don't think they'd last long to do much cleaning except for the cleaner shrimps who the fish might let be.

and even with that large of an ecosystem and such i think in the long run you're still going to have to feed foods for all the fish rather than just the shark to help prevent turf wars breaking out over food and to keep the predators from hunting their tankmates

finally, good luck. i know i'm surely not dareing (or rich) enough to try something like this as all out chaos could end up breaking out or it could work out beautifully. if you're actually going to go through with this i would get into contact with some zoo's for tips rather than relying on forum information

iHammer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
I am using the Shrimps as the base of the ecosystem (and the plankton). Not clean up crew. I want there to be enough of them so that they can breed at a faster rate than they can be eaten. I thought 1200 would be enough and I would add them a few months before the rest so that they can start breeding and get a proper structure in the gene pool. And I didn't think that the Angelfish would eat the sponges at such a fast rate that they would be wiped out. I want the Sponges there so that the angels can eat them. But how many do I need for them to breed faster than they can be eaten?

And I will not be adding Mandarin Fish, but I was quite sure that the Clownfish would be safe since there will also be anemone. And why would any fish bother starting turf wars with a shark? No one has answered my question yet :S Which one of these fish will be capable of being eaten by the shark?

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
You are never going to get those things to breed fast enough to support everything else in that tank. I had a 55g reef that had 140# or LR (yes, it was mainly LR) that had been in tank for years...and I kept a very small six line wrasse, yellowtail damsel, and a lawnmower blenny in there without feeding... or at least not very often. So...this is never going to work out the way you want it to.

Also +1 to the sponges being destroyed. Sponges are a complete animal...and although they can rebound from being eaten down, they will not be able to in a closed system where it is continuous, and will more than likely not reproduce for you.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
And any "aquarium" shark that you can buy is not going to attack you unless you are an idiot. The guy that got his hand bit should have been thinking about what would happen when the shark went for the food...IN HIS HAND! :D

iHammer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
FLESHY;4378461; said:
And any "aquarium" shark that you can buy is not going to attack you unless you are an idiot. The guy that got his hand bit should have been thinking about what would happen when the shark went for the food...IN HIS HAND! :D
I totally agree with you. Why the hell would you hand feed a shark?

And how many Brine/Glass Shrimps will I need to support the whole ecosystem?

I will also not add Sponges.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store