L shaped plywood tank build

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Thanks

I am planning on putting plants in, not many though. I picked up six pots of giant hair grass the other day, might leave it at that. My plan is to put them in little containers filled with flourite with nylon stockings over top to keep the substrate contained more less. I've never done this before so its sort of an experiment. I don't want the flourite mixing with the sand so I'll try this. When I put it in the tank I will bury the containers as deep as possible and try to cover it with river rocks while still having room for plants to grow through. Most the grass is still in the rockwool but I planted one in a test container in another tank to see how it goes.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg

here is a photo of some of my fry, I don't know if I'd still call them fry, fingerlings maybe. They are about 1.5-2". There are about 15 of them
here is the rest of the planted baskets of giant hair grass.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
I am planning on picking up a fx6 for most of the filtration . someone had suggested a smaller filter added in somewhere to help with flow, which would be easy enough. When I get a chance I will draw up a diagram of where I want the intakes outtakes etc. I'm trying to cut the glass right now (which is cannibalized from a used tank I grabbed) and the first peice didn't break along the score line. The glass is 3/8". On my local fish society forum someone suggested scoring both sides or getting a diamond blade. I'd rather not have to buy the diamond blade. Might just get someone to cut it for me. Any tips?

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Here are my plans for filtration.

As I mentioned I plan on picking up a fx6 and I have a 405 on a 70g that I will be tearing down as this gets setup. I think that should giving me enough circulation for each wing of the tank.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Took a bit. Here's an update. Waiting on glass which should be coming in any day now, but it is nearing completion otherwise. I've got the outside panels stained, the inside painted a tan colour, and the frame is built out of square tube steel. I have to give my old man credit for that, he welded it together for me and has worked on this and that in between the big steps. I don't have a lot of time so he's been a big help. Here is a pic of the tank so far.
The stand is actually constructed of 2 separate rectangular stands because I figured that would make it way easier when it comes time to move it. So far pretty happy. I think I'm going to add some clear coat over the stain to clean it up a bit. Mostly I'm just getting anxious to get the glass in there and test it out.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Glass is installed. Going to test fill it after the weekend. Sorry for the crap pictures.

toolsforfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2014
Dark Side of the Moon
SOOOO KOOL! dude i hope this works as far as id say... whats the worst you have to do just gtet more plywood same size as you have 3/4's inch right? just get more wood and lay it over the pieces you have and glue it again. like 4' x18"(i think idk the sizes of ur walls) and glue the board to it and/or stable gun all the sides edges. goodluck! you have inspired me to make a wood tank soon!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store