L shaped plywood tank build

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
I've already painted the back walls a tan colour. I've left the bottom because it will be covered in sand anyways so i figured why bother.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Tank has been filled for 3 days now. No leaks. Going pretty well I'd say. I'm going to be moving it to my new apartment soon where it will replace my 90g Geo tank. That will kind of be a pita moving the fish from one location to another into a new tank. Can't wait to finish it though.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
I am totally having a panic attack about the silicone I used, started a seperate thread so I won't go too into it but some say silicone 2 is no good.the tank is already moved to my new apartment and all the floors are carpet. I'd rather not have to reseal this diy tank in the new place, the gf would have a literal melt down. Yikes.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
The GEII silicone debate is inconclusive really. If there are mold inhibitors leaching from the silicone, is it detrimental to the health of the fish? One can only assume that its a bad thing, but no hard evidence(s) has been provided to say it definitely does. There are also "hearsay" reports that GEI now also has mold inhibitors. This hasn't been confirmed either as far as I know.

There are hard scientific evidences that mercury is extremely detrimental to humans, yet I've talked to older people who used to play/handle mercury with their bare hands before they knew what they know now. Point is, don't feel that because you used GEII that its an automatic death sentence to your fish.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
The GEII silicone debate is inconclusive really. If there are mold inhibitors leaching from the silicone, is it detrimental to the health of the fish? One can only assume that its a bad thing, but no hard evidence(s) has been provided to say it definitely does. There are also "hearsay" reports that GEI now also has mold inhibitors. This hasn't been confirmed either as far as I know.

There are hard scientific evidences that mercury is extremely detrimental to humans, yet I've talked to older people who used to play/handle mercury with their bare hands before they knew what they know now. Point is, don't feel that because you used GEII that its an automatic death sentence to your fish.
very true and as helpful as forums can be in this hobby, sometimes I find that is the downside. there are a lot of stories and old wives tales that go around so its stressful to sift through it all. I did some more research and I feel a bit better. everything I have seen from the labels etc doesn't mention mold inhibitors and the silicone has been drying/curing for a week already so i'm pretty sure by the time I fill it up it will be ok.

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
very true and as helpful as forums can be in this hobby, sometimes I find that is the downside. there are a lot of stories and old wives tales that go around so its stressful to sift through it all. I did some more research and I feel a bit better. everything I have seen from the labels etc doesn't mention mold inhibitors and the silicone has been drying/curing for a week already so i'm pretty sure by the time I fill it up it will be ok.
Very true, it is difficult to find the correct info with so many varying opinions. That being said I have only ever used GE silicone I and have never had a problem. I do however know someone (in person not on the internet) that used GE silicone II to reseal a 40b; he let it dry for a week then proceeded to loose multiple convicts after about a day or two (one at a time) in the tank. After losing 5 or 6 cons over the course of about 2 weeks he decided to stip and reseal with silicone I. The tank is now running with no problems and houses multiple fish.

...didn't share that to scare you, just wanted you to know what experience I have with silicone II.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store