L shaped plywood tank build

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
do you know what kind of silicone 2 they had used? what I used was the window and door, but I know there is kitchen and bath as well. this whole thing would be so much easier if I could just set up this tank, let it cycle and do it slowly but I am moving right away and am tearing down my 90 and using all the equipment, substrate, etc to cycle/seed the new tank. I will be moving the 90 over to the new place too, so if everything fails I can set it back up and move them back but it will definitely be stressful on the fish. and definitely not preferable. I mentioned in the thread I created about this issue that I have actually used silicone 2 on another tank I built and it has been in use for months with no issues and I have used it as a hospital/quarantine tank and lately ive been keeping wild caught plecos and shrimp in it. it's only roughly 20 g so I definitely used a larger ratio of silicone to volume so I would assume that it would have shown up there. as with your friend, a lot of what ive heard is almost instant deaths which I have seen none. makes you wonder

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
do you know what kind of silicone 2 they had used? what I used was the window and door, but I know there is kitchen and bath as well. this whole thing would be so much easier if I could just set up this tank, let it cycle and do it slowly but I am moving right away and am tearing down my 90 and using all the equipment, substrate, etc to cycle/seed the new tank. I will be moving the 90 over to the new place too, so if everything fails I can set it back up and move them back but it will definitely be stressful on the fish. and definitely not preferable. I mentioned in the thread I created about this issue that I have actually used silicone 2 on another tank I built and it has been in use for months with no issues and I have used it as a hospital/quarantine tank and lately ive been keeping wild caught plecos and shrimp in it. it's only roughly 20 g so I definitely used a larger ratio of silicone to volume so I would assume that it would have shown up there. as with your friend, a lot of what ive heard is almost instant deaths which I have seen none. makes you wonder
Honestly no idea which ge silicone II it was, that may make a difference. The deaths definitely weren't instant (more like 12-48hours). Again, not trying to poop in your cereal; just wanted to mention a past experience. If you have successfully used the silicone II in the past and haven't experienced any problems with it then you may be in the clear.

Good luck with the move and make sure to post up some pics when its finished up!

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
For sure. im not worried about poop cereal, I'm worried about dead fish so listening to your view on it. I'll definitely be keeping a close eye on it after I move my fish over. Updates will follow.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
So I went ahead and filled the tank today. Womp womp. Bad news. I got it about half way filled and there is a slow leak along the bottom of the shorter glass piece. Definitely a bit disappointing, it was filled previously with no problems but I guess when it was moved something got flexed or whatever. So I have to replace the silicone on that one panel for sure. Side note, I bought a garden hose to attach to my water changer because my old hose wasn't long enough. It was a medium duty hose, great for filling but when emptying it is really inefficient. It sucks in the side walls and essentially kinks itself. A bit annoying when you discover you have a leak. Anyway here is a pic of the tank

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Bummer on the leak. Did you find exactly where and what happened?
I think so. It was super thick in all spots except one section on the right side where I guess it didn't squish tightly enough and you could see a channel that ran straight to where it was leaking. I cut out as much silicone on that side as I could and put a super thick bead down so Hopefully that will do the trick.

jamntoast

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2014
winnipeg
Update: filled the tank up tonight and 0 leaks. Super stoked. Now the fun starts. I'll get it looking kinda nice and natural then it's time to move over the filter and fish from the other tank. Here is the tank all filled up.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Good to hear!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store