LED Advice

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Ya the shimmer is intense from the kessil, because it has so much light coming from one point it can be either mesmerizing or seizure inducing. Plants dont seem to mind though and I think it looks "natural". Also idk if anyone has had success growing plants under the 10w flood light, but I certainly didnt.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Ya the shimmer is intense from the kessil, because it has so much light coming from one point it can be either mesmerizing or seizure inducing. Plants dont seem to mind though and I think it looks "natural". Also idk if anyone has had success growing plants under the 10w flood light, but I certainly didnt.
Hopefully I bought some time with these bulbs and root tabs. Ill save for the
shimmer. Actually if these t8 are working right, I'll be at the PAR level Im trying to be at.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
T8 or t5 work great without the huge initial investment. Id honestly say they work better if in the right spectrum, but I think over 5 years the initial cost of leds diminishes. If its just the shimmer you want, look into some small leds in maybe the 5w range. Floodlights will give a similar effect and ive seen small desk lamp led pendant style that would likely work

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
It's been a week since I've just changed the bulbs on my tank. The t8s are brighter, my java fern looks much better, my anubias looks more green, but it seems my Severum and earth eaters have stepped up the amount of vegetation in their diets also. I bought some Wisteria, half of it disappeared over night, my Amazon sword looks like it's about to die, my vals look sick but they are constantly being picked at. Im interested in trying more low light plants, but Im finding some plants are considered low light by some and not others. One Im interested in now is Madagascar Lace leaf, one site says low light, another high. The guy at the the lfs says Banana plant is alright in low light, others say no. What are some plants we can agree have minmal light requirements? Thanks guys :)

viper0397

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
www.facebook.com
If you can find out what the CRI number is on whatever fixture you purchase. The higher the CRI number it is the deeper the light is able to penetrate.

I have both beameworks super bright over top my 90 gallon right now. It is a descent light. I am pretty happy with it. I went with the 6500k to reproduce sunlight. I used to have the aqueon led that you are all talking about with 2 whites and one color light in it. The color light just has a few red led's in it. I changed it out for the beameworks because even with the three bulbs I could not grow plants well with it.

There is my two cents for what it is worth.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
It's been a week since I've just changed the bulbs on my tank. The t8s are brighter, my java fern looks much better, my anubias looks more green, but it seems my Severum and earth eaters have stepped up the amount of vegetation in their diets also. I bought some Wisteria, half of it disappeared over night, my Amazon sword looks like it's about to die, my vals look sick but they are constantly being picked at. Im interested in trying more low light plants, but Im finding some plants are considered low light by some and not others. One Im interested in now is Madagascar Lace leaf, one site says low light, another high. The guy at the the lfs says Banana plant is alright in low light, others say no. What are some plants we can agree have minmal light requirements? Thanks guys :)
I think your biggest problem will be what works with a severum, which IMHO isn't more than ferns, anubias

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I think your biggest problem will be what works with a severum, which IMHO isn't more than ferns, anubias

Thanks, Im starting to figure that out now, I've only had him around 6 months, and hes turned.into a wrecking machine with my plants lately. Besides being one of my favorite fish, "Sheriff Severum" does an awesome job at policing the other cichlids in the tank. If it comes down to it, Ill just have anubias and Java fern I guess :/

ccp2007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
united states
Well, of you know or know someone that knows about wiring and you want a cheap, but nice, LED setup you can use the boat/motorcycle/car LED strips and wire them in with any fixture. I went to Walmart and picked up 2 12" blue LED strips for $18.97. They also have white, red, pink, green, blue/green mix, blue/white mix and white motion lights that give off the "chasing" effect. You can cut them to size too. They have other lengths too. I don't know anything about electrical wiring but luckily I married a man that does ;). Hopefully he'll have my blue ones hooked up today. I just bought the blue ones for now but I'll be going back for more. Oh, and they are really bright. I just put them up to the side of my tank last night and pushed the "try me" button and it lit up my whole tank. I have a 75g standard and a 55g standard

Mommy of 3 babies, 2 fur babies and 12 gilled babies

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store