LED Advice

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
I have a Severum that likes to garden LOL, yeah your Jag would uproot everything, then probably bite you when you tried cleaning it up :D

chefwill

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2013
Jacksonville beach Florida
Yup, did a water change tonight and rearranged the tank a little, had a few close calls from both the male and female. Never a dull moment.got a galaxy s5 today, supposed to be waterproof for 3 feet and 30 minutes. Going to take some in tank video tomorrow.
Sent from my SM-G900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Thanks guys. I was offered a 48" Current Satellite LED for a $80 at my lfs. I was thinking about that one. At 24" it's supposed put out 21 micromoles, Im not sure what my T8s are putting out. IF my ballasts are up to it, each should put out around 25 (also at 24"), considering their age and the current state of my plants, Im not sure. Assuming everything is working right, I should be at <70. Does this sound right? I don't plan running all 3 fixtures all the time.
How big is each T8 fixture? The Satellite by itself is going to give you low lighting (probably very low if factoring in things like light lost if you have a glass top and all...its not overly significant but its still something to take note of).

The thing with the PAR on T8 fixtures is that it changes greatly depending on the ballasts and on the quality of the reflectors. I'd be concerned if you actually had 70 par in your tank without co2 as that is a lot of light if you are being low tech.

Could you remind me the specs of your tank? I presume your lights will be 24" away from the substrate and that the tank is 48" long?

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
How big is each T8 fixture? The Satellite by itself is going to give you low lighting (probably very low if factoring in things like light lost if you have a glass top and all...its not overly significant but its still something to take note of).

The thing with the PAR on T8 fixtures is that it changes greatly depending on the ballasts and on the quality of the reflectors. I'd be concerned if you actually had 70 par in your tank without co2 as that is a lot of light if you are being low tech.

Could you remind me the specs of your tank? I presume your lights will be 24" away from the substrate and that the tank is 48" long?
Hey HH,
Yes, the tank is 48" long, 24 tall, 15" depth. The fixtures do sit on a glass lid, and also have to shine through 12" glass brace in the middle of the tank. (the brace has a small amount of haze on it too, grrr!) Im using regular medium sized gravel,
(Ive added root tabs once about a week ago) Also something I should mention is about a month ago, I added a piece of driftwood. I soaked it for about a week, but it still yellowed the water and still is very noticeable, I wonder how much light that is sucking up.
As far as the T8s, I can't say I have much confidence in them. They are 48" 32 watt Zoomed bulbs I got on clearance for $5 each. The ballasts say for use with one 30 OR 40 watt bulb, that's 1 ballast per fixture, but they are at least 10 years old. The fixtures are plastic, but when I changed the bulbs a week or two ago, I used some foil tape on the inside of the fixture, not
sure what that was worth.
I should also mention I have ALOT of fish, from Neons to cichlids, and everything in between, I couldn't give you the water parameters right this second, unfortunately I've fallen into the habit of not checking them till fish start dying. I seriously don't think I've seen happier fish than I have now. I haven't lost a fish in months, I have a Fluval 404&405 on it.
Yet another thing I should mention is the tank sits next to a West facing window. It doesn't really get direct sunlight, but it does get alot of light from the window. If my light fixtures are able to support the plants, I may keep the blinds closed more often.
Thanks again double H! :D

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Man, I kinda want to see a picture of this tank lol

So just remind me real fast, what kind of plants are you wanting to grow? If you're just wanting low light I think he sat+ by itself would be fine, you could also probably still run the T8's a bit I doubt they would hurt....if you're wanting more light you can get something like a fugeray or get a better quality t8 or t5ho fixture.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
lol, Ill take some tonight.
I know I said Id be fine with just Anubias and Java Fern, but I'm having fun trying to find something my Severum doesn't find appetizing.:)
While looking for a LED, I saw a 48" duel T5 fixture for $70. Will it say high output on it?

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Honestly, if it had great reflectors it would, but in my experience what you'll more likely get is higher-end medium light...which is okay and all but you'd want a lot of java fern and anubias to out compete algae imho, or you'd want to find some stems or floating plants that the severum leaves alone.

Actually, it might be a neat idea to do floating plants with that kind of light. Get a nice little collection of floaters going like Dwarf Water Lettuce and Amazon Frogbit and even floating water sprite might work.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Well, I brought my Satellite home tonight. I'm not too impressed, the remote feels kinda flimsy, and there's no way I could run it by itself, it looks much dimmer than my T8s. However I think I may have something if I run all 3 fixtures. I do like the lunar setting, Im enjoying it now.

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Day 1 with the new light. I'm happy. The new fixture fits nicely between the existing two, and it doesn't look as crazy as 3 fixtures sounds.My fish look great and the tank looks bright. Let's see what the plants think.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store