MAX SIZE FOR SPOTTED GAR

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
actually Polypterus had valid points and i agree with them. it's fine to discuss other species and fishes that you like, that's what we are all here for to an extent anyway. But we are also here to learn from each other and get decent information about the fishes. If you haven't had any real experience with the fish, particularly something that is quite delicate (aside from being rare), it's best not to recommend keeping it...at least not without providing the real information about the fish other than it looks cool.--
--solomon

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
Polypterus;1144357; said:
Do you have any experience with Cuban gars?
no not cubans but i'm not the one going to keep them and i figured someone here who has kept them would give some in put on how too

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
E_americanus;1145424; said:
actually Polypterus had valid points and i agree with them. it's fine to discuss other species and fishes that you like, that's what we are all here for to an extent anyway. But we are also here to learn from each other and get decent information about the fishes. If you haven't had any real experience with the fish, particularly something that is quite delicate (aside from being rare), it's best not to recommend keeping it...at least not without providing the real information about the fish other than it looks cool.--
--solomon
I would partially disagree with you here. In order to learn questions must be asked and incorrect statements need corrected. If this thread had just been left to the answering of the OPs original question, we would have only learned about the length of a spotted gar in a pond. This took a total of 2 replies, so now the thread must evolve or die.

The OP then provides some info on his pond size and tankmates, but asks no other questions, leaving it open to general comments. So here's Killerfish thinking what he would do with a pond this size, suggest some other not so common gar. Demjor and yourself follow up with some valid info to Killerfish's post. We also find out about there availability and that a few members like the way they look.

We then all get the pleasure of the following;

Polypterus;1144323; said:
Does it need to be repeated that Cubans are one of the most delicate of Gar species???

Really people come on...please do not recommend or state things you have no knowledge or experience of...If you have no experience or knowledge of an animal just zip it and shut up. Do not give someone bad or misleading info just for the hell of it or to increase your post count.

Leave the detail to those with experience and knowledge...Why this is difficult is beyond me..If you care to chat or whatever fine but do not recommend stupid things for the sake of it.
Now how much better for all would it have been if it was stated in the following way;" No, cubans would not work, because they are much to delicate for that sitsuation. Same amount of info given, without insulting half of MFK. Sad part is nowhere in this thread previous to that post had it been mentioned that cubans are delicate.

I'll end it here, already getting to long winded. My point is though if all any body ever did was just answer the OP questions, then only a fraction of the knoledge available would be exchanged.

pirarucu319

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 12, 2007
pahang
yup..
my florida jump out and break her/his nose..
2 foot.
to sad..
ANCIENT MONSTER RULEZ :arapaimag:asianarow

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
killerfish;1144352; said:
really i thought that tropicals were the smallest also i understand that finding the gars would be a proublem but i forgot to mention that sorry
nope. trops have been known to reach 30-36 inches in captivity quite often.

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
Polypterus;1144548; said:
Oh yeah I always forget that accurate information based on knowledge and experience should be avoided and instead be replaced with smilies and misspelled words... after all it is not as if accuracy in information is as important as stroking egos or entertaining bad ideas...

U R R8 dude.....:chillpill: :chillpill: :headbang2

I give up.....Poly signing off.... have fun Jordan...... TAG!!!!!! your it now.....
geez...your too kind.

i have to say my patience are wearing a bit thin also.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
demjor19;1146375; said:
nope. trops have been known to reach 30-36 inches in captivity quite often.
ok so i don't have time to respond to the previous post, so i'll respond to this one for now :)

trops from the farm that we have all been purchasing show little likelihood that they will reach 30"+ in most setups...at least not for a long time, if ever. i'm going with the latter.

captivity is also a relative term, as some of the big ones that are being purchased as 'jumbo' trops were broodstock from the farm or individuals raised in larger enclosures/ponds.

the main point is that i would actually doubt trops reach 30-36" in captivity quite often...there is potential, but i would guess that any of the trops we got from the farm will top out at around 2', if not less. this is also somewhat evidenced by the fish brought in with the last order, the largest of which may be around 18", but that's about it.

wild-caught trops may be different, but that's also doubtful given captivity issues. the overall point is that the trops are not the smallest species (as jordan already stated), but i would doubt they would get much bigger than 24" in captivity in the typical home aquarium predator setup...therefore still making them the most ideal species of gar, with the Florida/spotted being a close second (if not a tie, given the price difference).

ok after all that maybe i DID have time to answer the previous post :p but i'll get to that later--
--solomon

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
E_americanus;1146449; said:
ok so i don't have time to respond to the previous post, so i'll respond to this one for now :)

trops from the farm that we have all been purchasing show little likelihood that they will reach 30"+ in most setups...at least not for a long time, if ever. i'm going with the latter.

captivity is also a relative term, as some of the big ones that are being purchased as 'jumbo' trops were broodstock from the farm or individuals raised in larger enclosures/ponds.

the main point is that i would actually doubt trops reach 30-36" in captivity quite often...there is potential, but i would guess that any of the trops we got from the farm will top out at around 2', if not less. this is also somewhat evidenced by the fish brought in with the last order, the largest of which may be around 18", but that's about it.

wild-caught trops may be different, but that's also doubtful given captivity issues. the overall point is that the trops are not the smallest species (as jordan already stated), but i would doubt they would get much bigger than 24" in captivity in the typical home aquarium predator setup...therefore still making them the most ideal species of gar, with the Florida/spotted being a close second (if not a tie, given the price difference).

ok after all that maybe i DID have time to answer the previous post :p but i'll get to that later--
--solomon

the reason for me saying 30-36 inches was because i have seen several photos of adult trops in captivity that were around that size, but it may be as you stated...brood stock or even wild caught at that size. i will agree though...they are by far the best gar for home aquaria.

what are the chances of getting a cuban in the states? i'm guessing not good?

TLkmDN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia/Perth, Australia
thanks for ure help guys. i previously kept an alligator gar to the size of 2 feet but it died when i put it in my bedroom with airconditioning....i didnt realise it was so sensitive to temperature change :s anyways ive decided that its really a toss up between a florida gar or spotted. i just hope it doesnt break its nose in the 7 foot tank while it is being grown up. from wat i hear, gars and tanks dont really mix well...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store