MAX SIZE FOR SPOTTED GAR

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
TLkmDN;1146586; said:
thanks for ure help guys. i previously kept an alligator gar to the size of 2 feet but it died when i put it in my bedroom with airconditioning....i didnt realise it was so sensitive to temperature change :s anyways ive decided that its really a toss up between a florida gar or spotted. i just hope it doesnt break its nose in the 7 foot tank while it is being grown up. from wat i hear, gars and tanks dont really mix well...
they do fine in tanks...just try to keep them in smaller tanks as they grow. this helps LESSEN the chances of him darting across the tang and injuring/killing itself.

how cold did the gator gars tank get? that shouldn't have killed him.

TLkmDN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia/Perth, Australia
demjor19;1146648;1146648 said:
they do fine in tanks...just try to keep them in smaller tanks as they grow. this helps LESSEN the chances of him darting across the tang and injuring/killing itself.

how cold did the gator gars tank get? that shouldn't have killed him.
nah he was already sick. he suffered from some sort of sickness which made all his spots dissappear and skin turn sickly pale. the fish guy gave me some blue medicine which completely healed him. obviously he wasnt 100% recovered because i transferred him to an airconditioned room for one night and he died. but the room was very cold. like 18 degrees celsius...the water was like condensing on the glass....but yeh ill never make the same mistake. all my tanks are outdoors. so is my pond. im lucky tropical climate in malaysia is perfect for them.

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
TLkmDN;1146878; said:
nah he was already sick. he suffered from some sort of sickness which made all his spots dissappear and skin turn sickly pale. the fish guy gave me some blue medicine which completely healed him. obviously he wasnt 100% recovered because i transferred him to an airconditioned room for one night and he died. but the room was very cold. like 18 degrees celsius...the water was like condensing on the glass....but yeh ill never make the same mistake. all my tanks are outdoors. so is my pond. im lucky tropical climate in malaysia is perfect for them.
you really should'nt use meds if you dont know what you are treating for. gar also tend to be very sensitive to medications, i only use salt and raised temp on my gar.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
demjor19;1146648; said:
i like the capitalized 'lessen' jordan :)

either way, you hopefully know i'm not picking on you or anything...either that, or this is the trial by fire that any of the fanatical gar-keepers must go through :grinno:

TLkmDN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
demjor19;1147600;1147600 said:
you really should'nt use meds if you dont know what you are treating for. gar also tend to be very sensitive to medications, i only use salt and raised temp on my gar.
well i trusted the judgement of the fish guy. the blue medicine actually made the gar return to normal colour. he even started eating again. i guess his immunity was still low so an extreme change in temperature took its toll. considering normal temperature in malaysia is 27-30 degrees a 10 degree drop would be quite harsh

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
E_americanus;1147635; said:
i like the capitalized 'lessen' jordan :)

either way, you hopefully know i'm not picking on you or anything...either that, or this is the trial by fire that any of the fanatical gar-keepers must go through :grinno:
lol! i did that for you. i think the last time this topic was discussed..."helps lessen" was what we agreed on. i know your jusk kidding around. :D

bobVillanueva

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2007
Philippines
www.youtube.com
would a gator be a good idea?

hmmm... not so sure though.... perhaps u should let it feel more secure first in a tank where it wouldn't be too aggressive...and uh, try to put some bulk on in before letting it bask with your beasts... haha... i've seen a set up really close to urs... and they thrive.. i'm from the phils..also tropical and they did pretty well:)

TLkmDN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
oooo nice...im afraid of gator gars. they probably get too big for any pond :p people dont even keep them in public aquariums caused they cant really be tamed like RTC's can...they wud eat the tank cleaners x_X

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store