Mekong giant catfish vs Arapaima gigas.

noahmz1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
santa ana
Those pics are unreal !! I get the point broda. Those are the biggest fish I have ever seen !!!

Acheloos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2008
Germany
bestiarium.kryptozoologie.net
Here you can see the largest wels which was ever authenticated wels catfish:
http://www.fishing-worldrecords.com/relaunch/icons2/pages/wels record.htm
It was 2,78m long and weighed 144kg, so it was one of the longest ever-recorded freshwater fish. You should in general look more for actual photos, and always keep in mind that forced perspective is a very common use of many anglers to make their catch looking bigger. But anyway, photos are at least a proof, in contrast to often century-old dates from hearsay you find often in literature.

Aquaman_95

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2007
Warner Robins Georgia
Will Hayward;3007475; said:
Who cares? Either way, these are not fish that you want to get on the wrong side of...

Alligator Gar:

Pirarucu:
http://www.***********.com/rss_feeds/images/080326_arapaima_1.jpghttp://www.***********.com/rss_feeds/images/080326_arapaima_2.jpg

Mekong Giant:

Sturgeon:

Wels Catfish:

Mekong Ray:

Nile Perch:

The mighty Goonch:

Not to mention:

The point I'm trying to make is, no matter where you are, Freshwater or Marine, you really should be asking yourself if its safe to go in the water...?
Definatly not, they could eat you!

Acheloos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2008
Germany
Actually there there are nearly no records of any freshwater fish which ever attacked humans. Piranhas are among the few exceptions, but even many of those tales are exagerated or completely invented. One species which actually already attacked humans in freshwater is the bullshark, but this is of course no true freshwater fish.

Tstove15

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
Smokey Dungeon
This is a good thread. Out of your title the Pima is definatly longer than the Mekong would ever be but the Mekong is very heavy. But according to the other fish i do not know much about alligator gars or paddlefish or if paddlefish even exist anymore?

Noto

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2008
The South
The Chinese paddlefish is very close to extinction. I know one was tagged and released in 2003; I'm not aware of any more recent records. As much as their habitats have been altered by damming and other threats, it is unlikely that they will survive much longer.

The much smaller American paddlefish (to nearly 6 feet in length and about 200 lbs.) is alive and well, and is being cultured for meat and caviar in both the US and China.

Acheloos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2008
Germany
Arapaimas are actually not really longer than Mekong catfish. The largest authenticated length was 2,63m i.e. about the same as the giant Pangasianodon. But in any case the chinese paddlefish reaches longer total lengths than the Mekong Catfish and arapaimas.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store