noahmz1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
santa ana
dbcb314;3013630; said:
I think you guys are stuck comparing the biggest species ever caught

youshould compare the average size of each species... not the anomaly
This is true, sometimes there are exceptions. Man this seems to be a controversial discussion lol!! I think there are fans of a certain species. But it is a great conversation piece. Man those pics are amazing. Sharks are definitely not the only creatures in the water you need to be concerned about LOL !

Acheloos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2008
Germany
bestiarium.kryptozoologie.net
Yes, there is always a big difference between average and maximum sizes, especially if the alleged record sizes are dubious...
It is not easy to say which megafish has the biggest average size, not only because it is problematic for fish to make average sizes because there are often a lot of very small juveniles, but also because many of those species are overfished now.
I think it makes possibly more sense to use big sizes which are comparably often reached, comparable to, let´s say a human of 1,9-2m or so, and not the extreme exception-freaks.

I<3fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Noto;3007384; said:
The largest bony fish found in freshwater are certain sturgeons and sawfish. However, these fish do not carry out their entire life cycles in freshwater, and so are not considered "true" freshwater fish.

As far as the largest "true" freshwater fish go, the current champion is the Chinese paddlefish, Psephurus gladius, historically reaching up to 23 ft. and 1100 lbs. This fish is very close to extinction and there are probably no more giant individuals left.

Of other freshwater giants, the heaviest are the Mekong stingray, Dasyatis laosensis, and Mekong giant catfish, Pangasius (Pangasianodon) gigas, both of which may top 600 lbs.

The arapaima (Arapaima gigas) does not reach near such sizes, and is probably smaller than the largest alligator gar (Atractosteus spatula), giant barb (Catlocarpio siamensis), and various other monsters.
Really? How can you say it's smaller than the largest alligator gar? The avg arapaima caught is around 5-6 feet. Whereas the average alligator gar caught is around 3-4 feet. Both are causes of overfishing. Look at the picture of the arapaima hoisted into the air next to the native.

Will Hayward

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2008
Canada
www.alternativeaquariums.com
Acheloos;3012863; said:
Actually there there are nearly no records of any freshwater fish which ever attacked humans. Piranhas are among the few exceptions, but even many of those tales are exagerated or completely invented. One species which actually already attacked humans in freshwater is the bullshark, but this is of course no true freshwater fish.
There isn't a Fish Rape hotline where you can report that a fish assaulted you. Many of these fish are in areas where if people were attacked, it would not be recorded.

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
i don't believe large sturgeons are pure freshwater, but the huso huso is reported to top 28'. the now debatebly extinct chinese paddle fish is said to grow past 23'

as far as confirmed pure FW, i believe gigas is the longest, and heaviest is between the chinese river ray and mekong giant catfish

Will Hayward

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2008
Canada
www.alternativeaquariums.com
Onion01;3014917; said:
i don't believe large sturgeons are pure freshwater, but the huso huso is reported to top 28'. the now debatebly extinct chinese paddle fish is said to grow past 23'

as far as confirmed pure FW, i believe gigas is the longest, and heaviest is between the chinese river ray and mekong giant catfish
Its been more than a decade since an adult Chinese paddlefish as been caught. there will not likely be any more monsters caught, at least, not anytime soon.

And no the Sturgeons are not pure Freshwater, but they can be often found in Freshwater. It doesn't make them any less impressive.

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
Mekong ray its most likely the largest fish when talking volume

Probably sturgeon when your talking weight there are many white sturgeon reported to weigh we'll over 1000 Lbs in some cases close to 1 ton 2000 Lbs :WHOA: and nearly 20' in length in the 1800s back then whites close to 15' were some what common then they were heavily over fished and now adays its very un likely to find ones over 10' but you know there are big ones out there some where ( remember the smartest fish is the one that stays the farthest away from humans )

Chinese paddlefish i think is the longest freshwater fish but its mostly paddle as you can imagine if you've seen a paddlefish so mabye the Arapaima should be considered the longest plus chinese paddlefish are next to extinct :( so if the dont exist any more they don't count :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store