MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
la,la,land

doviiman

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
la,la,land
that's some bowl, you might be able to keep two goldfish in there if you're lucky
Yes that's the plan, I am sure a few goldfish and maybe a beta to really get crazy with it ...:ROFL:

peacock madness

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
amazing setup.. i cant wait to see it fully up and running.. i love the external overflows, and the stock list as well. what are ur plans for substrate and decor? being from LA, if anything native you shoulda gone redfish and trout tho haha... could of even thrown a flatty or threea in there as well.

doviiman

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
la,la,land
amazing setup.. i cant wait to see it fully up and running.. i love the external overflows, and the stock list as well. what are ur plans for substrate and decor? being from LA, if anything native you shoulda gone redfish and trout tho haha... could of even thrown a flatty or threea in there as well.
Yeah, the redfish idea cross my mind, but actually, who could go wrong with his own crawfish pond/ tank, that way I could eat them all year long. ha,ha,ha
I am going to try using sand this time. I have never used the stuff before, plus some wood here and there a coulple large rocks and maybe a fake plant or to depending one particular species I am trying to get my hands on and it's need to try and eat the plants??? I am going all out on this project, and if it does not work, its my dream tank, I can say been there done that and got the T-shirt...

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
:ROFL:

I see we are in the same boat!
Oh no! You are light years ahead of me. I'm sure I hold the world record for the longest tank upgrade ever.

8/09 tank ordered and paid for
2/15/10 tank shipped out
2/24/10 tank arrived at storage facility
1/6/11 tank finally came home (only so the outside wall could be finished)
10/4/11 tank moved into place (only because they wanted to finish the drywall in the fish room)

Your project is basically finished compared to mine! You've got your filters all laid out and everything! Two nights ago I told my husband what I had planned for filtration (he finally asked). I still need to order bulkheads for the eleven extra 2 3/8" holes I had the builders drill in the top of the tank. There are eight 1" holes through the overflow boxes for returns. I think there are bulkheads for all the holes in the overflow boxes, but we have not yet climbed into the tank to retrieve the boxes, lids and stuff inside the tank. The tank is still in shrink wrap to protect it from the dust of the building project.

Yup! You're going to be enjoying your new tank and fish room way before I'll have mine...

Reactions: Matteus

doviiman

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
la,la,land
Oh no! You are light years ahead of me. I'm sure I hold the world record for the longest tank upgrade ever.

8/09 tank ordered and paid for
2/15/10 tank shipped out
2/24/10 tank arrived at storage facility
1/6/11 tank finally came home (only so the outside wall could be finished)
10/4/11 tank moved into place (only because they wanted to finish the drywall in the fish room)

Your project is basically finished compared to mine! You've got your filters all laid out and everything! Two nights ago I told my husband what I had planned for filtration (he finally asked). I still need to order bulkheads for the eleven extra 2 3/8" holes I had the builders drill in the top of the tank. There are eight 1" holes through the overflow boxes for returns. I think there are bulkheads for all the holes in the overflow boxes, but we have not yet climbed into the tank to retrieve the boxes, lids and stuff inside the tank. The tank is still in shrink wrap to protect it from the dust of the building project.

Yup! You're going to be enjoying your new tank and fish room way before I'll have mine...
Oh my, and I thought I was behind the set-up curve at 8 months from ordering to on the stand. WOW! Your into your second year, you have great patients, but I can see where thing may have been out of your control. I am sure once setup though its going to be well worth the wait. I can't wait to see the beast up and running. Speaking of filtration, does someting that large actually use a sump for Bio filtration or someting more commercial?

doviiman

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
la,la,land
Oh my, and I thought I was behind the set-up curve at 8 months from ordering to on the stand. WOW! Your into your second year, you have great patients, but I can see where thing may have been out of your control. I am sure once setup though its going to be well worth the wait. I can't wait to see the beast up and running. Speaking of filtration, does someting that large actually use a sump for Bio filtration or someting more commercial?
Delay my last, I just seen your thread with the Sump, 405 gallon, really, really, WOW insane. I imagine you'll be using a type pool filter for mechnical filtration then. WOW!

doviiman

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
la,la,land
My only reason for having external filter boxes is so that I will have all 10x 3 foot print of the tank. When you think of overflows inside the aquarium depending on their location they tend up to take up space. I noticed this when I had my old 300 gallon, the boxes were mounted internal on the back of the of the tank about 6 inches from each side panel. Well as the fish got larger that 6in space between the side panels and the overflows boxes was useless becaue none of the fish really hung out there or could use that space. And the 5 or so inches the boxes took up from the front of the overflow box to the front glass made for less foot print in width. So as the fish were getting to up to the 15- 20 inch range their abilty to turn around in those parts of the tank became a problem to me. Now even though the overall tank was 24in wide, in the area were the two overflow boxes were, the space/width was more like 19-20 inches. When overflow are mounted to the internal side panels of the tank, they can take up as much as 5 to 6in on each side of you tank, so now you 8ft tank is around 6.8 to 7ft or that 10 ft tank is actully 8.8 to 9ft, well you get the idea... So if you have the space, I'd always recommend mounting overflow boxes external either back or sides of the tank...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store