Monster fish??

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
Those who think Channa Micropeltes / Giant Snakehead is not really mean or a pound for pound fish, are you guys talking from experience or simply being hypocrites?

I know Micropeltes babies are sold as feeders although I am yet to see that being in one of their native countries, and the adults are not eaten as if it's one of primary fish sold as food. Yes there are those who eat Channa Micropeltes just like those who eat Piranha.

A Giant Snakehead / Channa Micropeltes is a fish with aggression I am yet to see in any other fish. An Aimara Wolfish is very aggressive, but I have no experience with one...however from the videos I have seen, it sure is one of the top predators. And this Micropeltes, is really the freshwater Great White Shark. For someone who grew up hearing stories about them, I can go on talking about their aggressiveness, fierce personality.

Sorry guys I just feel :irked: when people talk about Giant Snakehead without any experience. For knowing them, I have so much respect for them. But then of course, every single fish is different, even among its own species just like us. And those who grow Micropeltes feeding chunks of meat or have them died young or eaten by its tankmate for being too small, please don't try to make your judgment. None of you are yet to show proof of keeping an adult Giant Snakehead. This fish have killed humans in the wild.

mercury904

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Philippines
Sarcosuchus;640377; said:
Those who think Channa Micropeltes / Giant Snakehead is not really mean or a pound for pound fish, are you guys talking from experience or simply being hypocrites?

I know Micropeltes babies are sold as feeders although I am yet to see that being in one of their native countries, and the adults are not eaten as if it's one of primary fish sold as food. Yes there are those who eat Channa Micropeltes just like those who eat Piranha.

A Giant Snakehead / Channa Micropeltes is a fish with aggression I am yet to see in any other fish. An Aimara Wolfish is very aggressive, but I have no experience with one...however from the videos I have seen, it sure is one of the top predators. And this Micropeltes, is really the freshwater Great White Shark. For someone who grew up hearing stories about them, I can go on talking about their aggressiveness, fierce personality.

Sorry guys I just feel :irked: when people talk about Giant Snakehead without any experience. For knowing them, I have so much respect for them. But then of course, every single fish is different, even among its own species just like us. And those who grow Micropeltes feeding chunks of meat or have them died young or eaten by its tankmate for being too small, please don't try to make your judgment. None of you are yet to show proof of keeping an adult Giant Snakehead. This fish have killed humans in the wild.
adult? I guess mine is just at it's:headbang2 adolescent stage:headbang2

14092006165.jpg

14092006172.jpg

14092006173.jpg

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
I guess I had to talk like that to make you post those pictures?:D You could have posted before, my bad I didn't see if you had. How many Micropeltes do you have? And have you kept this one from small? How long and old is it? Thanks for sharing.

mercury904

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Philippines
Sarcosuchus;641272; said:
I guess I had to talk like that to make you post those pictures?:D You could have posted before, my bad I didn't see if you had. How many Micropeltes do you have? And have you kept this one from small? How long and old is it? Thanks for sharing.

I have 4 but the dwarf SH jumped:grinno: yup I kept them since they are 2.5 inched .but this big bad guy is raised in a pond

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I've never owned one, but my Uncle has one in Thailand and my Dad has stories of a Giant Snakehead that rammed my Uncle when they went fishing once. I saw my Uncle's Snakehead the last time I went to Thailand. It jumped out of the water to attack a piece of chicken that my Uncle laid out about 1' away from the water's edge. Dragged it back into the water. It was the craziest theing I've ever seen :WHOA:

Danyal

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2006
woodland, ca
<This fish have killed humans in the wild.>
do you have a link or something?i thought giant snakeheads maxed out at around 3', doesn't seem like something that could kill a person.

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
I don't know of any confirmed deaths, just rumors, but I could have easily missed it. As for teeth,

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
That's one awesome story Benz, thank you for sharing.

Micropeltes' max size is not 3 feet, it's more and a precise growth rate has not been stated, if you check online you would see 3 feet, 4 feet, 5 feet and locals have stated to have seen more but they could have exaggerated from shock as it's not common to see such specimen when fishing is excessive. Such big ones are caught using rope tied to a tree. The locals would tell you about them, Micropeltes do not grow max in captivity, unless you have one in a pond like Mercury, we would just have to wait and see.

Lifespan is said to be from 15 to 20 years, many die long before that ( the ones in captivity I mean ), mistaken to have died out of old age. And it's not easy to find such old specimens in the wild as well when fishing is excessive as I stated.

Sad story indeed, just like it's rare to see a full grown Arapaima in the wild today that can grow up to 15 feet long.

Speaking of deaths, yes there are and have been in local news, I cannot find any data on it though, just texts and stories.

Check out these pictures below.

225235690(3)_7.jpg

shattck.jpg

Image(664).jpg

post-4062-1131691503.jpg

212258881_2.jpg

369474241_Shado%201.jpg

Snakehead_head_1_Em.jpg

normal_xb_toman.jpg

post-10251-1145905422.jpg

21-10-06_0746.jpg

toman13.5kg287052.jpg