mos90's 125 reef build.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
I think 100 lbs should be enough to make a nice rock pile(s) with.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
i added the sand (120lbs) and started aquascaping at lunch. i think i have most of it done, might make some changes. ill tell u 100lbs of rock is quite a bit. i probalby could get away with 75lbs. i want to keep an open design with some larger caves. if i use all the 100lbs there is no way for me to make 2 separate rock piles. i might just do a connected cave system.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
I hear ya. I thought I was being conservative with 80lbs on my 120 and I am sure I have too much after playing with the rock.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
If you can drill your rock, or secure it in some way...less rock will go further.

Otherwise you are going to need a ton. I used to have close to 120# of rock or possibly even more in my 75g.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
tank is filled and running as of last night. i started the skimmer, main pump, pellet reactor and power heads.

im having a slight issue with the apex controller, apparently i forgot to update the outlet modules with the latest firmware and its causing a lag. ill fix that tonight. need to setup webserver tonight also. lets not forget the nasty mess i have to clean up from 10hours of working on this thing.

i setup the ato system but the ph was a little high (8.4)to be dosing kalk topoff. i will do it manually for the time being or just use plain ro water.

the ato high alarm went off last night at about 4 am. apparently the sensor had some bubbles on it an was misreading. scared the crap out of me.

i had to dial the mag18 returnpump back about 20% for the 1200 gph overflow . not too bad.

ill tell u that a 125g saltwater tank is a hell of a lot more work to setup then freshwater.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
tank is filled and running as of last night. i started the skimmer, main pump, pellet reactor and power heads.
Sweet. Ver excite. :D

im having a slight issue with the apex controller, apparently i forgot to update the outlet modules with the latest firmware and its causing a lag. ill fix that tonight. need to setup webserver tonight also. lets not forget the nasty mess i have to clean up from 10hours of working on this thing.
Bugger...and what a wonderful feeling. Smells like the ocean, the carpet is wet, you are exhausted...and the room is filled with the wonderful blue glow of a reef tank. I live for that feeling. Enjoy it. :)

i setup the ato system but the ph was a little high (8.4)to be dosing kalk topoff. i will do it manually for the time being or just use plain ro water.
You are always worrying...things should be fine with no livestock...just get your kalk figured out before you add anything this time ha.

the ato high alarm went off last night at about 4 am. apparently the sensor had some bubbles on it an was misreading. scared the crap out of me.
As it should...120g of water on the floor is always fun. I overflowed my tank a couple months ago...and not through the overflow either haha.

i had to dial the mag18 returnpump back about 20% for the 1200 gph overflow . not too bad.

ill tell u that a 125g saltwater tank is a hell of a lot more work to setup then freshwater.
Interesting...I have been considering the mag 18 upgrade...and think with my seaswirl builds that flow shoudl be restricted enough so that I wont have to worry about this..but Ill keep an eye out if I do the upgrade now.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
apparently after some testing my 500w finnex heater is causing interference with my apex ph probe. every time my heater kicks on my ph spikes up about .2 then after it shuts off it drops back down slowly. i might have to reroute some cords tonight.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Yea...that wouldnt make sense for that to happen...if anything a heater should make the pH go down. So...must be something electrical like you already figure.

mos90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 20, 2009
rome,ny
having more issues with my apex controller. i turned on my mh's and actincs and almost immediately my ph went from 8.3 to 9.1 im working with neptune to resolve this.

on top of that i have both of my tanks tied into 1 20amp circuit breaker in my fuse box. with all the lights on it kept kicking the breaker. i need to install 2-20 amp breakers and a new wire and 4 gfi outlets just for this tank .. i think the total amp draw was close to 18 with every thing on.

at this point im not the happiest camper with my apex..:irked:

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Good lord, 18 amps? 8 -9 amps of that is probably lighting, what else do you have drawing that sort of current?

20 amp breaker? That must be a northern thing. Down here, most outlets are rated at 15 amps.

The wire and breaker wont be bad, but paying someone to drop the line will be.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store