Mud turtle care

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I think we are getting somewhere now and it might not be a snapper.

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
Over all my turtle shell is smooth but I can also feel rows of raised texture and his face has the stripes

***Jack Dempsey Cichlid Lover***

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
Ok so how should my tank be set up for him? Do I need a filter? If so what kind? I am using sand for the substrate, is sand ok? What should I feed the little guy?

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
Sand is fine. Musk turtles don't need a basking lamp but they do need to be able to get out of the water. They will eat fish pellets or just about anything. You will need a filter but what kind depends on the water level the tank will be at.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
Where should I keep the water level. Here is another pic but not a very good one. I am almost sure its a mud
uploadfromtaptalk1411359160614.jpguploadfromtaptalk1411359131763.jpg

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
I just googled musk turtles and that is 100% what I have! Thank goodness. I would be scared of a snapping turtle

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Well I'm glad you got it sorted out and now know what you have.Good luck with the little guy.

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
Thanks. Does anyone know how much water should be in my 20 gallon long for him? How much land does he need? For now I have a mound of sand on one end and about 3 inches of water on the other end. I put decor in the water so he can have something to hold on to. I have fish filters but to use those I would need to put quite a bit of water in the tank. If I would be better off getting another filter then what is a good and brand that wont break the bank? Can he live in a regular aquarium with fish?

Samaka

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2013
USA
They are usually peaceful with fish and yes deeper water levels are ok as long as the current isn't too strong and they have things to climb on and hold on to like you have already provided, because they prefer to walk under water then to swim. Check out youtube vids with them inside planted tanks with fish. They don't mess up the plants like other turtles either. The first pics you posted looked like a common sapper to me too but then I was sure it was a musk turtle. Very cure little guy and a nice find, hatchlings cost about $20 and you can keep several together, no problems. 20 gals is perfect for him and maybe a friend.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store