Mud turtle care

Samaka

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2013
USA
But make sure not to keep him with your jack dempseys yet, when he is this small Mrs. Nicky, or he might be lunch.

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
At the moment I'm not using a filter because I only have the ones used for fish. I am having a hard time figuring out how I should set the tank up. What is a good filter to use? How do I filter water that is only 3-4 inches deep?

***Jack Dempsey Cichlid Lover***

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
I've always kept hatchlings of this species in small tubs or new, plastic cat litter pans. They're easy to keep clean because you only keep about 2" of water in them so daily water changes are a breeze. Plus it's easier to monitor their food intake. Add a few fake plants to climb and hide in. You can use a desk lamp for a basking light. A submersible heater can be used to keep the water temp in the high 70's. After a few months you can upgrade to an aquarium or larger rubbermaid tub. Currently I keep my pair in a 100 gallon stock tank.

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
100 gallons! That's impressive. What kind of items do you use to give the access to land? This sounds like the perfect turtle for me and to think my husband Almost stepped on him

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
At what point would it be ok to put him in my 60 gallon with two 3 inch jack dempseys? What would I need to do to make my tank turtle friendly?

Mrs. Nicky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2014
Norfolk, Va
Well it looks like musk turtles grow pretty slowly. I don't think I will ever be able to keep him with my dempseys. I think I am just gonna have to find a permanent place to keep him. The 20 gallon he is in belongs to my daughters hermit crab.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store