Mudskipper paludarium- an alternative solution

blackghostknife

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
Hammond, Louisiana
Thanks, you must be the most devoted fan of this tank!
probably I must say that it is very impressive but that is probably an understatement!:cool-1: I think that plant is getting a little out of hand don't you?

Lusus_Naturae

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2010
OK, USA
I really like the way the root system with the pools came out. I can't have another tank now but this is something I will keep in mind for future tanks. That plant is really growing now eh?

HX67

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Up over
Samolus was taking over a bit too much, I agree.
DSC_0014.JPG
DSC_0017.JPG
Still blooming:
DSC_0025.JPG

I did some pruning
DSC_0028.JPG

And ended up with a bit less crowded tank
DSC_0030.JPG

Skippies still doing good, here's the female
DSC_0031.JPG

Thanks, Lusus_Naturae. Happy to hear you are inspired.

DariusAmurdarja, yes, I have, actually.
The original plan was to make a tidal effect. But the way the tank turned out, I sort of gave up on it. Kinda good enough the way it is, and less fuss with it, to me.
Still thinking about it from time to time, though. I would love to try tidal effect with fluctuating salinity, but haven't figured out quite the way to achieve it without huge expense in salt... And I can't see plants taking it too well, either.

Thanks for looking.

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0028.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

DSC_0030.JPG

DSC_0031.JPG

tjwilt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
PA
www.fishchannel.com
that is an awesome set up! I have two Periophthalmus barbarus and I wish I had the room for such a big tank and the skills to make it! They must be very happy in such a tank! They are absolutely beautiful! The anableps are really cool too. Definitely one of the most interesting brackish fish!

HX67

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Up over
Thanks, guys.

Pretty fast for a tidal effect in the vid, DariusAmurdarja. But I guess that's what you want if you want an effect?
I can't quite see how the tank is scaped alltogether, whether there is a lot of places the fish can rest on at high tide, but I'm sure there is. If I added 15 cm (6") of water in mine, there'd only be the upper levels for the fish left. It would be a bit crowded. The species in your link seems to be one of the smaller and maybe more docile than mine.
But great, an inspirational link. Thanks.

Anableps are cool fish, even though their only activity seems to be eating.

I've been looking for an addition to the tank for quite a while, and finally found a few halfbeaks
DSC_0124.JPG

I think they are Nomorhamphus ebrardtii and should do ok in low end brackish. They were kept in fresh at the LFS, I'm keeping them in another tank for the acclimatizing period.

Thanks for looking.

DSC_0124.JPG

blackghostknife

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
Hammond, Louisiana
sweet new fishies! so can you give me an up to date list of all of the inhabitants. also the tank looks SOOOOOO much better pruned

HX67

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2008
Up over
sweet new fishies! so can you give me an up to date list of all of the inhabitants. also the tank looks SOOOOOO much better pruned
Waiting for the plants to grow in a bit... but thanks.

The habitants at the moment are
-3 male and 1 female Periophthalmodon septemradiatus
-8 bumblebee gobies (uncertain of exact species)
-2 Anableps sp (probably A. anableps)

-10 Neritina snails
-a gazillion trumpet snails

The new inhabitants to come as soon as they are adapted to the right salinity are
-3 male, 2 female Nomorhamphus ebrardtii
-2 emperor gudgeons (Hypseleotris compressa)
DSC_0082.JPG

There's going to be a switch of inhabitants as soon as I get the new guys to the right salinity. The new guys go in the mudskipperarium and the foureyes go into their current tank (temporarily) to be further acclimated to the higher salinity of my 250 gal brackish tank. They are big enough to move into that now.
They will meet my Monodachtylus argenteus, M. sebaes, green spotted puffers and the G. tile, eventually.

The mudskipper tank will stay quite reasonably inhabited, I think.

DSC_0082.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store