My 240 ply tank started

briflikk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2009
Oakville, Ontario
still busy sealing the tank .. 3 coats done 3 more to go .. been gathering up supplies for the background and sump filter .. I picked up 2- 80 liter garbage cans and a couple PVC fitting I want to use as overflows for the garbage cans to flow into the main sump .. the garbage cans are going to be used as a pre-filter .. my question is how do I seal these fittings to the garbage can?? .. I tried putting silicon on the can but it peeled off .. so what should i use??

also decided on the background rocks .. I am going to coat the foam with the Zavlar and cover it with play sand .. I think it looks better then the aragonite I tried earlier .. IMO

briflikk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2009
Oakville, Ontario
nolapete;3754878; said:
http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/829/Uniseals

Order some of these. They'll save you lots of trouble.

those would be perfect but I am going to try sealing it with the Zavlar .. I tested it on the garbage can and on some of the piping .. sticks like glue so I figure I might as well give it a try

I got a call back from the Zavlar guys but missed the call .. I am wanting to get their opinion on how silicon will react with the Zavlar .. I have read not to use it but some have used it .. I will let everyone know what they have to say about it

as far as progress goes I have 5 coats of Zavlar applied so far (8 on the corners).. a couple more then I am going to start the background ..still waiting on the glass (hopefully this week).. picking up 4 more Piranhas this afternoon (4 - 8"ers for $50. gonna be crowded for a bit but they should be fine) . gotta get this baby done:naughty:

MFK2009

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2009
Manitoba
In my Zavlar testing on a garage floor drain I found if you place a object on top of or under another zavlar coated object, after letting them dry for weeks they will stick together, and tight.

On contacting Liquid Rubber I was advised that if used on a interior application, not exposed to sunlight, Zavlar can retain this stickyness.
Sunlight radiation exposure removes the sticky ability when dry.
They suggested if putting a lid on a zavlar coated edge to rub Talcum powder into the zavlar which will take away the sticky or paint it with a Water Based paint (I assume this is Latex but forgot to confirm)

And there was advice not to use Silicone with Zavlar here
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289711&highlight=zavlar&page=3

briflikk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2009
Oakville, Ontario
Got a hold of the Zavlar rep.. he sugested using a buytl rubber caulking or a paintable silicon .. I am going with the buytl rubber then going to cover over the caulking with the liquid rubber .. still waiting on the glass .. gonna give them a call today and hopefully get it by the weekend

I will have more pics up soon

briflikk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2009
Oakville, Ontario
The Glass is here ... finally .. time for some progress

got the garbage can filter system figured out

the idea is for the water to trickle from the top thru the drip tray.. thru scrubbies ..then enter the pipe from the bottom and exit to the sump

sealed the pipe with the Zavlar .. i really like working with this stuff:naughty:

Installed the bulkheads but ran into a brain fart .. I sealed up around and behind the bulkhead hole with the Zavlar .. the Zavlar stick so fast that I broke one of the bulkhead nuts when I tried to tighten it .. I should of used a plastic washer right from the start but didnt even think about it .. I had to buy a new bulkhead and used a old rubbermaid lid and made up some washers

got the return pipes made up .. one side is a spray bar with 1 jet and the other 3 jets

got the foam work done on the tank also .. I dont want a tank that looks like a box so I decided to try my hand at a 3D background .. I am pleased with the way it turned out so far .. have to wait till morning for the foam to cure before I can seal it up

Thats all for tonight .. looking at installing the glass Monday and filling it up by next weekend :drool:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store