My 2500 gallon concrete mega tank project

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Looking at the pictures again I see a stairwell under the tank? This has to be for plumbing and filtration? It seams like there is a filter in blue to the left of the tank also? This must be a skimmer or pre-filter of some kind? Would it be possible to get a drawing of this tank? Specifically the filter set up. Thanks again for posting this build!

andyroo

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2011
MoBay, Jamaica
www.seascapecarib.com
Egon,
I'd think any pool-builder could do the primary work. In this economy and at this time of year you'd probably get a good bargain as well.
The differences would be in setting the glass/acrylic pane and the size of plumbing for the filter (want bigger for pond).
A

cockroach

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2005
Taiwan
Very nice, do you have more pictures of how you built it? Full tank shots? and you filtration?

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
I have been looking at books on in ground swimming pools and on their construction along with that I have even looked at the possible idea of buying a house with a in ground concrete pool. The things I have pictured from the books is that some of these swimming pools and large fish tanks are built almost the same way and expect one of them has viewing windows and a more stronger frame to hold in the viewing windows. What I would like to do one day to a old swimming pool is dig out the side of it and build a indoor room along the side of it and make the pool indoors and build viewing windows along the side of the old swimming pool by knocking down one of it's old walls. That way I could turn the old swimming pool into a giant fish tank and convert the pump and drain system to help with the movement of water in the giant fish tank.

dhjr0915

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 18, 2011
Dorn's World..
I can't wait to see how this works out...If it goes good I may consider doing a concrete pond myself...

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I have been looking at books on in ground swimming pools and on their construction along with that I have even looked at the possible idea of buying a house with a in ground concrete pool. The things I have pictured from the books is that some of these swimming pools and large fish tanks are built almost the same way and expect one of them has viewing windows and a more stronger frame to hold in the viewing windows. What I would like to do one day to a old swimming pool is dig out the side of it and build a indoor room along the side of it and make the pool indoors and build viewing windows along the side of the old swimming pool by knocking down one of it's old walls. That way I could turn the old swimming pool into a giant fish tank and convert the pump and drain system to help with the movement of water in the giant fish tank.

I have an in ground swimming pool right now. 20K gallons salt water, big egg shaped sand canister filter with a good old 2 horse pump on it. The pool has two incoming lines, three if I hook up the bottom crawler vacuum. It has two returns. My turn over is probably 1/2 per hour if that. The turn over is just not needed for swimming pools. My point is, I just don't think it's feasible to convert an existing pool to a pond. Also I have learned in my research the best way to build a water tight concrete container is with a one pour method. Ponds, pools, aquariums all need one pour of concrete. That means the floor and all the walls are the same everything. Once you start drilling holes and adding bulkheads, viewing windows, skimmers, lights and so on, leaks are created. Even adding concrete walls to an existing concrete floor wont work in the long run to hold water. That seam will always leak. Anyway great discussion, I think I'm a year away from something like this. I'm really throttling up my concrete research, you may seem me lurking around the DIY area more........ (evil laugh)

Reactions: Matteus

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
No skills required - just ordinary contractor - yes you are right if you lived here you would just ordered these guys - let´s move to Slovakia...
I'm looking into a trip to Croatia right on the Med never thought about going to Slovakia? I might swing by for a visit?

Hey NUMA I'm reading a Clive Cussler book right now :) Any Clive Cussler fan knows about the NUMA files! LOL I love your screen name, I'm surprised it was even available but then again not to many MFK members read LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store