My 2500 gallon concrete mega tank project

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
There is a type of pool out there that is not lined with cement but is lined with vinyal which if I ever wanted to convert that type to a giant fish tank I could pull up the vinyal and dig it out a little and have someone birng in the cement forms to convert it to cement. Oddly the biggest emeny I have in this idea is that I wounder how would the city people react if I wanted to get a building perimit to add a giant fish room to my house.

I do like keeping Goldfish and wild freashwater fish and when I get a bigger tank set Up I might start keeping a few common Kio.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
There is a type of pool out there that is not lined with cement but is lined with vinyal which if I ever wanted to convert that type to a giant fish tank I could pull up the vinyal and dig it out a little and have someone birng in the cement forms to convert it to cement. Oddly the biggest emeny I have in this idea is that I wounder how would the city people react if I wanted to get a building perimit to add a giant fish room to my house.
Pool vinyl is toxic check this link out: http://www.websweeper.com/liner/tank-liner/

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
If I had a pool with vinyl I would take it out and replace it with cement painted with pond armor or if I had a old pool I would put pond armour on it.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
If I had a pool with vinyl I would take it out and replace it with cement painted with pond armor or if I had a old pool I would put pond armour on it.
I'm with ya man. I'm leaning along the lines of starting from scratch. I want a house with a basement. One wall of the basement will be floor to ceiling glass or acrylic panels. Those panels will look out into an underwater area of a large 7 to 10K gallon pond. From the outside I would have a glass conservatory or green house area over the pond and part of my patio area with a grill and chairs. Of course there would be a waterfall, lighting and so on. I would be able to completely open up the room on nice days and in the winter I can close it all and maintain tropical temps through out the year. I would have two completely different views, one in the basement watching the large cats and Pacu cruising in the deep and the other on the patio drinking my morning coffee checking out the Aro's and Gar on the surface :) Dreams........

bosanova

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2011
new york
I have an in ground swimming pool right now. 20K gallons salt water, big egg shaped sand canister filter with a good old 2 horse pump on it. The pool has two incoming lines, three if I hook up the bottom crawler vacuum. It has two returns. My turn over is probably 1/2 per hour if that. The turn over is just not needed for swimming pools. My point is, I just don't think it's feasible to convert an existing pool to a pond. Also I have learned in my research the best way to build a water tight concrete container is with a one pour method. Ponds, pools, aquariums all need one pour of concrete. That means the floor and all the walls are the same everything. Once you start drilling holes and adding bulkheads, viewing windows, skimmers, lights and so on, leaks are created. Even adding concrete walls to an existing concrete floor wont work in the long run to hold water. That seam will always leak. Anyway great discussion, I think I'm a year away from something like this. I'm really throttling up my concrete research, you may seem me lurking around the DIY area more........ (evil laugh)
SO Far from the truth ,the secret is in the waterproofing any reasonable mason can erect a cemeent tank at his own leisure ,base first then the walls as long as he applies the right waterprofing materials ,a continuous pour will certainly be a plus but not necessary ,do not let some guys freak you out with all these theories ,cement work is relatively easy ,check out my friend's quovadis tank, it was built over a period of more than a year,10 feet deep extreme pressure,and its not even sweating on the outside :popcorn:

Yanbbrox

Monster hole digger
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2007
Nr Mcr uk
Impressive work so far, good luck with the build.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store