My first monster tank!

Olunds

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
Mi
I had the same thought just a min ago and was coming back to add that. I will plan the sump for two of those and add the other one as/when needed. Awesome for another part of the plan coming together. Now to work on a return pump or two if need be. Damn the electric bill will be going up for sure even with shutting down a couple other tanks I bet.

BigCountry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Yeah's too deep a tank for LED. So your gonna have to run MH. 400W I bet. The electric bill will not be forgiving. But it's going to look very very good. :D

Unless your just going to do FOWLR. Then you can run any light you want pretty much. Which could be cheap LED, which will be no electricity or heat at all. :D

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
I had the same thought just a min ago and was coming back to add that. I will plan the sump for two of those and add the other one as/when needed. Awesome for another part of the plan coming together. Now to work on a return pump or two if need be. Damn the electric bill will be going up for sure even with shutting down a couple other tanks I bet.
Sounds like you have a pretty good plan in mind. You should be fine with one return pump; just do your research and factor in however many feet of head will be added by the pipe, elbows, and so on.

Yeah's too deep a tank for LED. So your gonna have to run MH. 400W I bet. The electric bill will not be forgiving. But it's going to look very very good. :D

Unless your just going to do FOWLR. Then you can run any light you want pretty much. Which could be cheap LED, which will be no electricity or heat at all. :D
I think that LEDs would work out well if they have the right optics; if they're focused enough, then they should work pretty well. Sure, it will take more in order to achieve the same brightness as MH lighting, but it should save a ton on the power bill.

Olunds

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
Mi
The 1.5" drains are installed, need to take a trip to lowes for some more parts for the 3/4" returns. Going to build the whole return before I install the bulkhead since Im not able to reach the bottom. Thinking of joining the two drains into one , putting the shut off after that, then into sump. Would that be stupid to combine them or should I have them drain seperatly into sump?

Olunds

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
Mi
Picked up a 38 gallon glass tank for a sump. Measures 36" x 12" x 18 ". By tomorrow night I should have it fully plumbed and waiting for the skimmer to arrive early next week.

Olunds

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
Mi
Red Sea C-Skim 1800 Advanced Protein Skimmer

Anyone have or had one of these, or any opinions would be great.

BigCountry

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Yeah I would connect the 2 drains into 1 pipe, and run that into your sump for sure.

Now I forgot what your gonna run in this thing? FOWLR or are you going reef?

Olunds

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2009
Mi
So I went to lowes and grabbed $100 in pvc and parts come home only to realize I need to move the tank before I attach any more plumbing. Ateast I hadnt started yet or that would have been a big screw up! Getting a reeflo pump of craigslist this weekend. Should be able to order the skimmer as well. Just need to get it all together, adjust everything, cycle tank...... man im stoked!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store