my future build 9350 gal shark tank

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
Okay, I get you.

But if you have the money, I still don't see why you don't go other methods. Pond liner in a large private shark tank just doesn't seem right.

wright4lfe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2005
lol nice troll post

Smooth builder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2009
virginia
No im sure it is to my post. I already had figured i would get a few of the "lol troll post" replies so i could careless.

The reason i decided on pond liner was because of my research and the ease of installation. I wanted to be able to do as much my self as possible and i read quite a few stories where people did the whole fiberglass/epoxy/resin setups and had leaks that took a long time to track down and it sounded like nightmares. I'm sure it was just done improperly but seeing as i have never worked with fiberglass in any manner i assumed the chance of having a problem like that was fairly high for me.

Have you worked with it before? if so how did it go for you?

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
Yeah I understand.

In the end it's really up to you. Your the one whos going to be lookinginto it every day.

No I haven't worked with fibreglass before in this situation.

Smooth builder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2009
virginia
have you worked with it at all? 1 of the things i was hoping to get into was if anyone had worked with it before and how difficult it is to work with. i still think i would want to wrap the interior in acrylic to prevent stuff from falling into the sides or damaging the walls via a dent or scratch or what ever and breaking the seal.

Eric A

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2008
Australia
The only time i've ever worked with fibreglass is when me and my dad were applying some to the underside of his car.

I couldn't tell you how hard it is to work with tho, it wasn't on a big enough scale to get annoying.

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
I don't think the idea of lining the pond liner with acrylic sheets will work very well. Acrylic absorbs water and thin sheets of it will warp after a few months.

Ditto with the tank cover.

Bassinkorea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2008
South Korea
I have recently completed coating the inside of my 280gal tank build with fiberglass. It was a bit of a pain in the @$$ and very strong smelling, but well worth it in my opinion. I had it fully coated in one day and spent another day tidying it up and making a few small repairs. Check it out in the link in my siggy.

Iafishkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2008
Des Moines, IA
If it was me... I would definately have it poured concrete. It only makes sense... to me. Most MFK's , I think built plywood tanks because they are putting it into a space that was prebuilt...

Think of how you want it done and size etc.. you have this done...

try and draw up the best of your ability some sketches...

Have an engineer look at your stuff and edit your blueprints for your house.

When the home builders put up the forms to pour your foundation they will build the forms for your tank... it will be poured and done just like that.

If you go to sell your house down the road it will either add value and the next owner will love it... or you could take it all down and take it with you... then they could turn the tank into a storage area or something.

You would basically be paying for the labor hours to build the forms needed... then the yards of concrete, plus have Zero worries of it holding...

If you built it out of plywood etc... you would have an immense amount of time... that would take months and months. All the plywood and lumber etc...

I would think you would be a light year ahead if you just had it poured....

Also instead of having it in the middle, perhaps place it along an exterior wall.. it would save alot of money and make things easier... in every way... also during the design process you could make a room off to the side for the filtration etc..

Just my .02

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store