my future build 9350 gal shark tank

Smooth builder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2009
virginia
hey guys thanks for the replies.

Eric - thanks for the replies. i was hoping you had worked with it before but i guess doing some patch work on a car and doing a tank is slightly different. lol I dont see the pond liner if installed correctly as being un sightly it would be a smooth service with maybe some ridges in the corners from over lapping. I would like to think that the livestock would draw your attention anyway and not the tank its self.

CoolKeith - Not sure where you got that sort of information from. If acrylic truely absorbs water and warps as easily as you may think then the entire acrylic tank business would be in the trash. Not to mention all the large national aquariums that have huge display windows as solid sheets of acrylic. The seals would be broken at even the slightly warpage. Also i would be using cast acrylic which from my understanding is poured into a mold as a liquid and is then formed under pressure as it is cooled preventing any air bubbles being trapped and creating a solid non porous material. If you have evidence of the claim i would love to see it overwise i dont think it holds much truth.

Bass - How many layers did you end up going with? It was my understanding that you are supposed to give it 24 - 36 hours between coats and sand inbetween as well to ensure ample space for the next layer to adhere to.

Iafishkeeper - The point of going with a pondliner and wood setup was to take it with me or take it down quickly and easily if i ever moved. I dont see how if i poured it in concrete how i could take it down easily or move it. A conrete circular saw only cuts 4 inches and im sure this would require a 6 inch wall or so, but im not a engineer or a mason so i dont know for sure. Either way you would need a concrete chainsaw to even cut it into sections and even then i fail to see how you would move them and reassemble them short of more money then it is worth. Even with concrete though i read you are still supposed to treat it as a pool and coat it with a few layers of epoxy to prevent any leakage of chemicals and corrosive contact between the saltwater and concrete itself. I read about special marine concrete but i never could find a vendor or a price range but im sure if it isnt listed its beyond me.

I've included a few pictures to show the location and the room it will be placed into. It is more or less in the storage room for the basement. the first picture simply shows the layouts. the second picture shows the tank with the top supports and the gang plank design. the 3rd is merely a wide shot representation of the 2 windows and the couches and that stuff. and no the wall colors arent decided on yet just about every wall in the design program is a different color.:nilly:

justin

man cave.jpg

man cave pt2.jpg

shark tank view.jpg

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
Sorry to break the news to you then. It's well known to plastics professionals that acrylic absorbs water. I've built several acrylic tanks myself with cell cast, extruded, and continuous cast acrylics.

Most acrylic tanks can hold water because the the joints are chemically bonded together with an acrylic solvent, such as Weld-on. Also acrylic tanks need to be well braced; the pros build the tanks with a solid top with access holes cut out. Poorly constructed acrylic tanks will eventually fail.

The most recent tank I built a few years ago, is an 8ft x 2ft x 16" high tank out of 3/8" Acrylite GP, which is cell cast acrylic. Earlier this year, I emptied the tank to modify the decor inside and I removed the center braces that were bolted in place. Needless to say, after removing the braces the tank bowed out about 12 inches. I had to use a big clamp to get the braces back on. I'll probably only get a few more years out of this tank before it needs to be replaced. I won't be building anymore acrylic tanks because acrylic is just too expensive now.

For warpage, I'm only speaking about thin sheets of acrylic that are 1/2" or less. Thick acrylic windows are a completely different story because they'll have more resistence to absorption due to the greater thickness of the material. Only the side that is exposed to the water or moisture will absorb water. If you completely submerge the sheets underwater, there is no telling what will happen, especially if it's only 1/8" thick.

Please look at the spec sheet for cell cast acrylic. It will tell you how much water it absorbs. Cryo has it listed at 1.1% over 48 days.
http://www.cyro.com/NR/rdonlyres/81...-E3CF88BD70AE/0/1235EGPPhysicalProperties.pdf

Smooth builder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2009
virginia
Eric - thanks. its done via the better home and garden home design suite. its actually what ive used to lay out most of the house so we can get it exactly the way we want it and then all we have to do is give the print outs to the architect and say this is what we want draw it up. the idea behind the thing sheets of acrylic inside the tank was to protect the pond liner from any potential punctures. be it a shark or fish during feeding or a rock pile tumbling or me just being a clutz inside the tank i wanted to keep "accidental" punctures out of the equation as much as possible. the acrylic will be some what flexible so it will be able to absorb impacts from fish with out hurting the fish or the animals running into a hard wall. that was the idea behind it.

Smooth builder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2009
virginia
coolkeith - well if you read my post the display window will be completly wrapped in wood and sealant so it will be 100% braced around the edges with a solid overlap and will be at least 2 - 2.5 inches thick or more depending on the final size i choose. the sheets inside if they warp its not a big deal they are meant nothing more then to protect the walls from punctures and to protect the animals so if they do bump into it it will be on a slight angle and allow them to just brush off it. im still not sold on the idea though that tanks warp that easily and the cryo calc i dont think is that accurate after talking with numerous custom large tank builders so i take anything from that site with a grain of salt. even if it is true and acrylic absorbs water i dont think its to the degree that you are trying to explain to. the bowing you experienced i would rather blame on continuous use and years of stress rather then saying it sucked up all the water and blew out. it would make 1 heck of a science experiment though if i was back in school lol.

coolkeith

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2005
Detroit
Yes, I agree that a 2.5" thick acrylic windows will be more than fine. I wasn't talking about that though. Good luck with the rest.

Bassinkorea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2008
South Korea
Smooth builder;3258530; said:
hey guys thanks for the replies.

Bass - How many layers did you end up going with? It was my understanding that you are supposed to give it 24 - 36 hours between coats and sand inbetween as well to ensure ample space for the next layer to adhere to.
We applied a minimum of 2 layers on all areas, with 3 layers in places like the bottom and the corners for extra strength. I had a good friend help me apply the fiber glass and he has been working with fiber glass on huge marine projects for many year and he recommended adding more layers while the surface was clean and fresh. Each layer was hard dry to the touch before the next layer went on.

wright4lfe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2005
lol sorry, that was meant to the original poster on this thread. if he was even half way serious there are two people on this forum he would need to contact directly. but by the posts he's made its maddeningly evident that he hasn't. there is zero need to make this thread with some of the people we have on this forum.

Smooth builder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2009
virginia
Wright4life - The reason i didnt contact the 2 people im sure you are referring to is because the mega tank builder used glass and steel/conrete as his primary build materials. The second person used cinder blocks with rebar and concrete as reinforcement and used acrylic as his window. I had planned to message him in regards to the acrylic thickness but other then that there builds didnt provide much relevance to my plans at this time. So as they say "kiss off".

wright4lfe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2005
they built monster tanks in pretty much the only way you should be building something of that size. that you would even consider building a 9000+ gallon tank using a liner is borderline insane. theres a reason why they built their tanks the way they did and they both have had minor problems even with the most detailed planning. and they were only going freshwater, not salt. the corrosive elements of salt are legendary.

why don't you call up a major aquarium and ask them if using a liner is a smart plan for a 9000+ gallon shark tank. when they stop laughing and hang up on you (prank caller, prank caller!) let us know what you plan on doing next.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store